BEAVERTON, Ore. (KOIN) –A two-alarm cooking fire injured one person and damaged nine units at a Beaverton apartment complex Friday morning.
The blaze broke out before 9 a.m. at the Country Oaks Apartments located at 13795 SW Electric St. According to Chris Hamilton, a spokesperson for Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue, a man in the apartment where the fire sparked was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening burn injuries. No one else was hurt. One cat in the apartment was found dead and another was missing.
Although it was initially reported that the blaze was caused by an unattended pot left on a stove, Hamilton could not confirm that as the cause, only stating that it was a cooking fire. Officials are still investigating.
The fire spread through the attics of the units. A total of nine units were damaged, Hamilton said. Three of those had serious fire damage, and the other six had water damage. The Red Cross was assisting displaced residents with temporary housing.
PGE shut off power to the complex for safety reasons, and was working on getting electricity restored.
A financial estimate of the damage was not disclosed.
The season's first big snow storm hit the region Friday, closing schools and shutting down roads.
The latest road closures and conditions from across Oregon.
Potentially the coldest day since 2009 in Oregon has prompted closures, caused delays and frozen ponds throughout the area.
"Move your car or be towed." That's the message from the city of Portland to residents who park in the Alphabet District. Street cleaners will clear leaves off the street Friday morning.