PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) -- In the wake of the tornado that devastated Moore, Oklahoma, many families are making sure they are prepared in case of a disaster and emergency.
Lani Doser, a family nurse practitioner, put together this list of items recommended by the Red Cross of what you should have readily available:
First aid kits for a family of four, including:
• 2 absorbent compress dressings (5 x 9 inches)
• 25 adhesive bandages (assorted sizes)
• 1 adhesive cloth tape (10 yards x 1 inch)
• 5 antibiotic ointment packets (approximately 1 gram)
• 5 antiseptic wipe packets
• 2 packets of aspirin (81 mg each)
• 1 blanket (space blanket)
• 1 breathing barrier (with one-way valve)
• 1 instant cold compress
• 2 pair of nonlatex gloves (size: large)
• 2 hydrocortisone ointment packets (approximately 1 gram each)
• 1 roller bandage (3 inches wide)
• 1 roller bandage (4 inches wide)
• 5 sterile gauze pads (3 x 3 inches)
• 5 sterile gauze pads (4 x 4 inches)
• Oral thermometer (non-mercury/nonglass)
• 2 triangular bandages
• First aid instruction booklet
She also recommends taking a first aid class so you know how to stop bleeding, prevent infection and assist in a decontamination. These items are essential:
• Two pairs of Latex or other sterile gloves if you are allergic to Latex
• Sterile dressings to stop bleeding
• Cleansing agent/soap and antibiotic towelettes
• Antibiotic ointment
• Burn ointment
• Adhesive bandages in a variety of sizes
• Eye wash solution to flush the eyes or as general decontaminant
• Prescription medications you take every day such as insulin, heart medicine and asthma inhalers. You should periodically rotate medicines to account for expiration dates.
• Prescribed medical supplies such as glucose and blood pressure monitoring equipment and supplies
• Aspirin or non-aspirin pain reliever
• Anti-diarrhea medication
Other first aid supplies:
• Tube of petroleum jelly or other lubricant
The 47-year-old man died after the car he was driving crossed from the north lanes to the south on I-205 and hit a pick-up truck. His wife -- ScanCouver on Twitter, at first unaware of his death -- tweeted alerts on the crash.
The Portland Trailblazers succeeded in their seventh straight home win Wednesday night against the Oklahoma City Thunder -- and clinched Portland's No. 1 spot in the Western Conference.
A 13-year-old runaway from Oregon City is considered endangered and may be with a 40-year-old man. The Twitter and Facebook hashtag #FindSamantha is being used to help get word out on this case.
A new indoor location for the Right 2 Dream Too homeless camp is close to being finalized. "Our urging to Right 2 Dream is take this offer," Portland Mayor Charlie Hales told KOIN 6 News Wednesday.