Blossoming tree starts fire at Damascus fire station

No one was hurt and damage was minimal

KOIN 6 News Staff - DAMASCUS, Ore. (KOIN) -- Clackamas firefighters didn't have to go far to fight a fire Sunday morning. It was right in their station -- and it was caused by a blossoming tree.

Crews at the Damascus fire station smelled smoke around 7:30 a.m. Sunday and found smoke coming from the attic space above the garage. The crews got to the attic space quickly and put out the blaze before it could spread. The damage was contained to the attic space and garage and no one was hurt.

A PGE crew noticed a blossoming cherry tree not far away pushed a live power line and a neutral line together. That caused an electrical short at the power pole, which sent the fire to the fire station.

Just 6 weeks ago, Clackamas Fire began staffing the Damascus Station around-the-clock. If crews hadn't been at this station, damage would have been much more significant, officials said.


More Stories

Meet the Team

  • The KOIN 6 News Team
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

  • Game On!

    Game On!

    Watch Game On! at 11:35 p.m. each Sunday on KOIN 6, brought to you by Pacific Office Automation

    Read More »
  • Where We Live with Ken Boddie
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

    Where We Live with Ken Boddie

    Each week, KOIN 6 News anchor Ken Boddie highlights an interesting piece of information about Where We Live

    Read More »

Latest News - Local

Video Center