The Associated Press - KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. (AP) - A man suspected of killing a woman in Northern California has been wanted in Oregon since a 2006 felony assault in Klamath Falls.
The Herald and News reports a woman told police that her boyfriend Robert Vogee strangled her past the point of consciousness.
A warrant for Vogee's arrest was issued in November 2006.
Vogee is now is suspected of killing Pamela Sue Johnson. Her remains were recovered Tuesday after a fire at Vogee's home in Alturas, California. The 59-year-old suspect was hospitalized after being found unconscious.
Modoc County District Attorney Jordan Funk says authorities believe Vogee set the fire as both a suicide attempt and an effort to destroy evidence of a homicide.
Funk says Vogee and Johnson were casual acquaintances who served on the Modoc County Arts Council.
A candlelight vigil for Johnson was held Thursday outside the county courthouse.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Child killer re-sentenced to 46-to-life
- Many trails in Eagle Creek Fire area in bad shape
- Flu season continues to hit Oregon hard
- Eagle Creek Fire teen suspect to appear in court