GLADSTONE, Ore. (KOIN) -- A fire that caused $40,000 damage to a Gladstone home was likely started by the homeowner who was fumigating his garage to get rid of rats.
Firefighters told KOIN 6 News the object used to fumigate had a fuse and produces smoke and is typically not used in a home.
The flames took over the entire garage Monday morning, but firefighters were able to quickly put it out.
Neighbor Randy Kirkham isn't sure if the homeowner knew what was happening.
"I've never heard of anybody lighting anything to get rid of rats," he said. "If it was something that was misread or if the instructions weren't specific enough."
The family was not injured in the fire.
All over Salem and parts of Marion County, road conditions were still hazardous Friday night with even the main roads coated with a layer of ice and snow.
A Marion County deputy and the man he was chasing were both wounded by gunfire in a Christmas tree field in Silverton Friday afternoon.
An arrest warrant was issued for a 40-year-old man with a glass eye for allegedly kidnapping a 13-year-old girl from Oregon City.
The season's first big snow storm hit the region Friday, closing schools and shutting down roads.