KOIN 6 News Staff - PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) -- The manager of a Bend daycare is accused of leaving 7 children alone so she could go tan, police say.
The Bend Police Department said January Neatherlin, 31, abandoned the children (ages ranged from 6 months to 4 years old) and was later spotted at a local tanning salon.
After an anonymous tip, police began watching her home on Blue Bush Courtyard. The residence was used as a daycare service. Detectives said they watched parents drop off numerous children at the home, and a couple hours later, they saw Neatherlin leave in a vehicle.
When detectives spoke with her at the tanning salon, they noticed she didn't have the kids.
Police knocked on the door at Neatherlin's home, but nobody answered. Fearing for the safety of unsupervised children, they entered the residence. There, they found 7 kids.
Authorities called the Department of Human Services and all of the parents who had dropped their children off. Some parents chose to have their kids examined at a nearby hospital, police said due to their young ages.
Neatherlin was booked into the Deschutes County Jail on suspicion of second-degree child neglect, reckless endangering, first-degree theft by deception and criminal mistreatment, according to the Bend Police Department.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Initiative would ban the sale of assault weapons
- Oregon man admits using dead UK baby's passport
- Forest Grove police: Woman's death is 'suspicious'
- Officers use ATVs to increase homeless patrols