WOODBURN, Ore. (KOIN) - A Woodburn man was dropping off donations at a neighborhood Goodwill when his new smart phone caught fire and exploded, burning his chest, lips and fingers.
On Tuesday, Manolo Rodriguez had the Samsung Galaxy S4 cell phone in the pocket of his jacket when, he said, he suddenly felt burning on his chest and smelled smoke.
He tried to remove the phone, but it was so hot it burned his fingers . So he quickly took off his jacket.
“The ground was burned. The phone had slid, like, down to the next pocket through that one, too,” Rodriguez told KOIN 6 News.
“It exploded everything into pieces. It burned the floor. The smell was unbelievable,” said Maria Galvin, who saw the phone explode.
The Woodburn Fire Department responded and found his cell phone smoldering on the floor of the Goodwill.
About 20 million people purchased the Galaxy S4, making it one of the most popular phones on the market. KOIN 6 News found one other report of a phone explosion.
Despite repeated calls to to the company for comment, no one has responded to KOIN 6 News.
Rodriguez has hired an attorney and hopes his case will cause Samsung to make changes.
“Samsung needs to recall their Galaxy S4 for further testing to figure out what’s going on with their phone models,” he said.
The 88-year-old Longview woman was found by staff at 1:18 a.m. Friday outside her Washington retirement home. The coroner's office released its report Monday.
Kelsey McCune made his first court appearance Monday afternoon on charges he kidnapped and raped an Oregon City teenager, the daughter of one of his friends.
From Newberg to Gresham to Camas to Southwest Portland, schools were shut down by the middle of Monday with cold weather building ailments.
PGE crews, working to repair a failed underground cable that caused a fire and power outage on Sunday that left a large portion of downtown Portland -- including City Hall -- in the dark, will need until at least noon Tuesday to complete …