NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP/KOIN) -- Newtown voters have accepted a $50 million grant from the state of Connecticut to build a new Sandy Hook Elementary School, the site of last year's school massacre.
The unofficial results Saturday were 4,504 for the grant offer and 558 against.
The vote was essentially a formality since a task force of Newtown officials decided in May in favor of a plan to tear down the school and build a new one. Sandy Hook students have been attending classes at a school in neighboring Monroe.
State lawmakers had set aside the money to help the town build a new school to replace the one where a gunman killed 26 people last December. Connecticut officials said the state was willing to allocate all of the $50 million to the new school.
The town is coming up on the one-year anniversary of the mass shooting that killed 20 children and six adults. Plans for a new school are still in progress and they hope to have a new school in place by January 2016.
-- The Associated Press originated this report. Details in the final paragraph were added by KOIN.com staff.
Police cars were damaged in two separate incidents when drivers ran into them, one by a suspected drunk driver, the other by a man fleeing in stolen car.
A burst water pipe caused part of an apartment ceiling to collapse in Washington County on Sunday, but officials said no one was hurt.
Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber is expected to announce his future political plans at a Portland press conference Monday morning.
A cable in an underground vault in downtown Portland failed Sunday morning, causing an electrical malfunction and a fire.