KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. (KOIN) – A 55-year-old man is accused of stealing $109,000 from his blind, 94-year-old mother and spending it all at a casino.
Richard Dean Barney allegedly deceived his mother into signing numerous checks over a 3-month period beginning in January 2017, court documents obtained by KOIN 6 News show.
The Klamath County Sheriff's Office confirmed all the money was spent at a casino.
Barney was arrested December 28, 2017 and made his first court appearance the next day. He's charged with 3 counts of aggravated 1st-degree theft and 2 counts of 1st-degree criminal mistreatment.
The Herald and News reported that if convicted, Barney faces up to 10 years in prison on his highest counts. He was ordered held on $25,000 bail. He's scheduled for another court hearing on January 8, 2018.
A booking photo of Barney was not immediately available.
2 Koreas talk about Olympic cooperation
The Latest: Pope meets with Chileans
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Tactical incident in progress at North Portland apartment
- Food cart operator accused of exposing himself to Uber driver
- Multiple fires have Astoria residents fearing fire bug
- Man arrested in deadly Hwy 26 crash appears in court