PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) – You’ve probably been to a summer gathering and had a picnic or barbeque favorite: potato salad.
Our favorite nutritionist, Rania Batayneh, joined AM Extra Wednesday to show us how to make an alternative that’s just as good – and with lower carbs – a “faux-tato” salad. Cauliflower is a great low carb substitute for potatoes in this twist on the classic creamy potato salad. High in fiber, this salad gives low-carb lovers another option to enjoy at a BBQ or picnic. The cauliflower florets are baked in the oven until tender and develop a delicious roasted flavor which is a nice alternative to bland boiled potatoes. I used the Primal Kitchen’s Avocado Oil Mayo. With clean ingredients like avocado oil and organic cage-free eggs, this is a better-for-you condiment that has no added sugar or artificial ingredients. There is so much flavor in this mayo and it works perfectly in this Creamy Cauliflower Fauxtato Salad and can be used in all your favorite dishes like tuna or chicken salad, or on your sandwich.
- 2 large heads cauliflower chopped into florets (6 cups)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 3/4 cup celery finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion finely diced
- 3 tbsp chives finely chopped
- 3 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. garlic seasoning
- 1.5 cups of Avocado Oil Mayo from Primal Kitchen
- ¼ cup chopped pickles/relish
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 0.5 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Cut the head of cauliflower into florets and place on a baking sheet or parchment paper. Drizzle the cauliflower with olive oil or avocado oil, sprinkle garlic seasoning, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the cauliflower is tender and slightly golden in color.
- Make the dressing in a separate bowl by combining the Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Mayo, pickles, and Dijon mustard, and whisk together.
- Once the cauliflower is tender, remove from the oven and allow to cool before transferring to a salad bowl.
- Combine roasted cauliflower with the dressing and toss.
- Pour red onion, celery, some chives, and parsley into the salad bowl. Mix well.
- Sprinkle chives and parsley on top. Enjoy!