VANCOUVER, Wash. (KOIN) — A 10-year-old boy sparked a fire that destroyed 2 duplexes and displaced 26 people in Vancouver Sunday night.
Vancouver Fire Department officials said the fire caused $230,000 in damage. They’re working with the boy and his family on a fire prevention program.
Vancouver Fire said crews found two homes on fire on E 18th Street near Norris Road when they got there just after 7 p.m. A house and duplex unit next door were on fire.
“This was a difficult fire because there were two structures that were damaged,” spokesperson Joe Hudson said.
No one was hurt in the fire.
Tatianna Burns told KOIN 6 News her neighbor alerted her to the fire. “Right when we ran out the propane tank exploded, so that lady was the angel. At the end of the day we lost this but we didn’t lose ourselves.”
She lost everything in the fire, but they did find her late grandfather’s wedding ring. Now she and her family are moving into a 2-bedroom apartment in the same complex.