RIDGEFIELD, Wash. (KOIN) — A funeral procession and memorial service celebrated the life of Clark County Detective Sergeant Jeremy Brown on Tuesday afternoon.

Brown, 46, was shot to death while doing surveillance at The Point Apartments in east Vancouver on July 23. The 15-year veteran of the department left behind a wife and 5 children.

Law enforcement from the region and around the country attended the memorial service at the ilani Casino and Resort, a facility big enough to hold all the attendees and equipped to handle the media attention.

Hundreds of law enforcement and EMS agencies from the entire region lined the procession that began at 11 a.m. The memorial service, which was open to the public, began at 1 p.m.

“As a father, he was always the person we turned to if we were seeking the truth,” his son Gage said during his eulogy.

“He was definitely an extremist, an all or nothing kind of guy,” Gage said.

His younger sister Jules spoke as well. She said they grew up in Sweet Home.

“I know that siblings have a special bond, I like to think ours is exceptional,” she said. She shared that when she was two-years-old, their father was killed.

“He was a great man in spite of adversity and life circumstances,” Jules said of her brother.

His youngest three kids are all engaged to be married.

“Jeremy did not just have the heart of a lion, he was a lion,” his wife Jill said. “He was so very proud of his children,” she said.

Family donations

The official site for donations in memory of Jeremy Brown was set up by the Clark County Sheriff’s Office. Residents can donate at any branch of IQ Credit Union, or mail a check to:

IQ Credit Union
Clark County Sheriff’s Office Brown Family Memorial Fund
1313 Main Street
Vancouver, WA 98660

The incident and the aftermath

In the evening of July 23, Detective Brown was on a surveillance operation at The Pointe Apartments in Vancouver when he was shot to death inside his unmarked SUV.

Three suspects were arrested in connection with the case.

KOIN Coverage: Clark County Detective Jeremy Brown

Abran Raya-Leon and Misty Raya were arrested hours after the shooting. She is currently being held in the Clark County Jail on burglary and gun charges. Abran is awaiting extradition to Clark County to face charges for helping the alleged shooter flee.

The Vancouver Police Department maintains the lead on the investigation. But the Southwest Washington Independent Investigative Response Team (SWIIR) has joined the investigation.

In a July 30 release, Vancouver police said, “It appears that Detective Sergeant Brown used force, and although no death, substantial bodily harm or great bodily harm occurred, the attempt was made.”

Authorities did not say what kind of force was used. But the use of force activated the inclusion of SWIIR, officials said.