PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — The Clark County Sheriff’s Office confirmed Wednesday the man involved in Tuesday’s officer-involved shooting in Vancouver has died.

He was identified on Thursday as William E. Abbe of Vancouver. The 50-year-old died of multiple gunshot wounds after being shot by 3 Vancouver officers. His death was ruled a homicide.

Abbe was pronounced dead at the hospital after being transported from the scene of the shooting.

A 2017 mugshot of William Edward Abbe. He pleaded guilty to being a felon in possession of brass knuckles and attempted animal abuse. (Washington County Sheriff’s Office)

Officers responded to a call about two people fighting near NE Stapleton Road and E. Fourth Plain Boulevard on Tuesday. When they arrived, they found one person unconscious on the ground and the other person refused officers’ commands to drop “sharpened objects” he was holding, police said.

Three officers then fired at Abbe.

During the fight that brought officers to the scene, Abbe knocked the person unconscious, according to the Clark County Sheriff’s Office. That person was taken to a hospital and was released on Thursday.

3 Vancouver officers shoot man on Stapleton Road

Vancouver Mayor Anne McEnerny-Ogle released a statement on the incident Wednesday morning:

“We are saddened to learn of the news of the death of the suspect in yesterday’s incident. My heart goes out to the families and friends of the deceased, and to everyone in our community affected by this event. I, along with my fellow Councilmembers, want to express our deepest condolences.”

Earlier, City Manager Eric Holmes spoke on the incident, as well.

“Anytime something like this occurs in a community it is shocking and heartbreaking,” Holmes said in a statement. “On behalf of the city organization, I offer our deepest concern and compassion to all those involved. While we don’t know all the facts in the case yet, I have confidence in and look forward to the results of a thorough, impartial and independent investigation.” 

Finally, Vancouver Police Chief James McElvain stated that the investigation into what happened on Tuesday will be handled by the Regional Independent Investigative Team, which is independent from the Vancouver Police Department. 

“We will await the results of that investigation so that all evidence is considered,” he said. “We appreciate the community’s patience and understanding as we await the results of the investigation.”

The man who had been found unconscious at the scene was taken to the hospital but his condition remains unknown.

The 3 officers involved were placed on Critical Incident Leave, standard procedure in similar cases.

Abbe pleaded guilty in 2017 to being a felon in possession of brass knuckles and attempted animal abuse. His criminal history includes disorderly conduct, attempted criminal trespass, car theft, hit-and-run property, fourth-degree assault, obstructing an officer and second-degree assault. There was an active warrant for him out of Washington County for falling behind on his restitution payments for the brass knuckles and dog assault.

This is a developing story and KOIN 6 News will continue to follow it.