Family, dogs escape house fire in Northeast Portland

Multnomah County

No one was hurt in the fire

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A family with four dogs and six cats safely got out of their burning Northeast Portland home Friday morning.

Portland Fire and Rescue said smoke detectors alerted the residents to the fire, which started in the attic around 3:45 a.m.

Five fire engines arrived to the 1300 block of Northeast 112th Avenue to find a lot of dark smoke coming from the roof. When they got on the roof, the flames starting coming through.

Crews said this kind of fire is difficult to fight because the house becomes like an oven. Fire gets into the walls and attic and when they start poking it, the flames burst out.

Firefighters said the residents were able to get out of their house because smoke detectors woke them up. No one was hurt.

Officials said it’s common for people to sleep through fires in the early morning hours.

The fire was caused by an electrical issue.

Information about smoke alarms

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Top Headlines

More News

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Twitter News Widget