PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Cleanup continues at the Occupy ICE camp after officials started the process early Wednesday morning.
Portland Police showed up at the camp around 4:30 a.m. after a quiet night. By 6 a.m., Police Chief Danielle Outlaw delivered a statement and said no arrests or citations had been given during the cleanup. She said by the time officers arrived, only 12 protesters remained at the camp.
Outlaw said there were reports an officer used a baton on protesters and that will be investigated. However, no one was injured during the cleanup.
Prior to Wednesday morning, Outlaw said her department received dozens of calls and complaints — many of which officers had to respond to. Outlaw said the camp impacted the safety and livability of the people in the Waterfront area.
“After I brought all of this attention to the mayor, he was fully supportive to move forward to begin plans to clear the camp,” Outlaw said.
Outlaw added that they were able to clear out the camp in a “methodical and thoughtful manner.”
Notices to clear out the camp were handed out Monday. Dozens of people left on Tuesday, saying it wasn’t worth staying and getting arrested. Many said they will move to other protests in other cities.
On Tuesday night before the midnight deadline to clear the camp, Joey Gibson and Patriot Prayer unexpectedly showed up. Tensions were high but ultimately no violence occurred.
City workers will help clean up the camp. Wooden structures and trash remains on the ground.
As of Aug. 2, cleanup costs were estimated to be $24,742.
In the posting at the OccupyICE site, the City of Portland said:
“All campsites at the identified locations below will be cleared beginning July 24, 2018 and continuing until complete.”
The locations are the intersection of SW Bancroft and Moody, SW Bancroft and Macadam, SW Macadam and Moodyu and the property at 4330 SW Macadam.
The City also said: “Persons who have not vacated any campsite will be subject to citation or arrest by police.”
The Willamette Trolley, which was not able to run after the campers blocked its tracks, is expected to resume regular service by Friday after an inspection.