PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A “quick moving fire” that began when a gas hibachi barbecue was being used inside an apartment escalated to a 2-alarm blaze before being put out by Portland firefighters.
The fire erupted at SE 160th and Division early Monday evening. Officials said the fire involved “multiple units” in the complex but they were able to contain the flames to just one apartment.
Portland firefighters said one of the reasons they were able to quickly put this fire out is because they spend a lot of time training at this complex. The entrance to this parking lot is tricking for getting equipment in and out.
But that practice paid off when they had to rush to this scene Monday night.
Though they contained the flames to one unit, the fire ended up leaving 7 people without a home.
No injuries were reported. The Red Cross is on the scene to help those affected.
One of those people is Thawng Skap, who heard a neighbor yelling.
“I just opened my window and I saw sme people running, so I just went down to the basement and when I opened my door I just saw fire started for my neighbor. It was pretty bad.
Skap called 911, then ran back upstairs and grabbed some items. “I tried to get as much as I can but I just forgot my car keys and other stuff.”
He said this was his first experience with anything like this and he won’t be able to stay in his home right now because of smoke and water damage.