2 hospitalized after gas leak in Beaverton

Washington County

A hazmat team found potentially deadly levels of carbon monoxide inside the affected building

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Two people were rushed to a hospital after being exposed to toxic gas Tuesday afternoon in Beaverton, firefighters said.

Emergency responders were sent to a business complex in the 10800 block of SW 5th Street just after 2 p.m. after receiving reports about someone experiencing cardiac arrest, according to Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue.

Police officers found one person who was semi-conscious struggling to leave the building and found a second person unconscious inside on the floor.

Firefighters arrived and got the unconscious person out of the building. The person was rushed to a hospital with life-threatening injuries, fire crews said. The other person was also taken to a local hospital. A third person who was in a different part of the building refused treatment at the scene.

A hazmat team found potentially deadly levels of carbon monoxide inside the affected building, which officials described as a warehouse facility. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas.

SW 5th was closed between Maple Street and SW Western Avenue. Officials evacuated people from the surrounding buildings.

The gas line was turned off and crews stayed at the scene to ventilate the building and monitor gas levels.

The cause and source of the carbon monoxide inside the building is under investigation.

Follow KOIN 6 for the latest news and weather

App

Download our FREE news and weather apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and sign up for our email newsletters.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Twitter News Widget

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss