Family dog rescued from burning Hillsboro home

Washington County

No one else was home other than the dog when the fire started, firefighters said

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A family’s dog was rescued from a burning home Friday morning in Hillsboro.

Firefighters went to the manufactured home in the 8300 block of Quatama Street at about 9 a.m.

“[There was] very little visibility lotta smoke, lotta heat in there,” firefighter Paul Morris said.

A dog was rescued from a burning home in Hillsboro, Aug. 9, 2019. (TVF&R)

A dog was trapped inside but no one else was home when the fire started.

Crews rescued the dog and extinguished the blaze.

The dog, named DJ, was treated at the scene and firefighters said he was doing better by the time he was taken to an emergency animal hospital in Tanasbourne.

Dr. Kristen Gerard with Tanasbourne Veterinary Emergency said firefighters and police officers brought DJ in after giving him oxygen at the scene.

A dog was rescued from a burning home in Hillsboro, Aug. 9, 2019. (Hillsboro Fire Department)

“I was a little comforted by how emotional they were about saving the dog,” Gerard said. “They were really, really, really excited about it, which is great.”

Veterinarians KOIN 6 News DJ didn’t have any burns but was being treated for smoke inhalation.

“Right now he’s doing amazingly well,” Gerard said.

Gerard said she has high hopes for DJ and he’s expected to recover.

“It’s nice to get in there and have a good outcome like this,” Morris said.

DJ the dog recovering at Tanasbourne Veterinary Emergency after being in a house fire in Hillsboro. (KOIN)

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Top Headlines

More News

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Twitter News Widget