Chicken coop heat lamp sparks fire, damages 2 homes

Washington County

The fire started on a shed and spread

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A heat lamp in a chicken coop started a fire that damaged 2 homes and 3 sheds in Tualatin Friday morning.

Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue crews battle a fire that spread to two homes and three sheds. November 1, 2019 (TVF&R)

Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue said someone called 911 about a shed outside a house on fire and spreading to the house.

By the time crews got to the house on Nisqually Court, two homes and three sheds were on fire.

Firefighters fought from the outside and managed to quickly knock down the flames.

They also got inside to check if anyone was there. There are no known injuries.

An aerial photo of the Tualatin fire. November 1, 2019 (TVF&R)

Residents told KOIN 6 News they are grateful their neighbor alerted them to the fire.

Tualatin police said roads were closed at Southwest Avery Street and Southeast 90th Avenue and Southwest Shoshone Drive.

Investigators later determined the heat lamp in the chicken coop sparked the blaze. The coop was adjacent to one of the sheds, which then spread the fire to the other structures.

Follow KOIN 6 for the latest news and weather

App

Download our FREE news and weather apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and sign up for our email newsletters.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Top Headlines

More News

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Twitter News Widget