3 ICE protesters arrested, 2 FPS officers assaulted

occupy ice portland c 06222018_1529712731631.jpg.jpg

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Three protesters were arrested and two Federal Protective Service officers were “assaulted” outside the ICE facility in Southwest Portland on Monday.

The officers, according to a spokesman with the DHS, suffered minor injuries. 

The spokesman said the first person was arrested early on Monday after they broke through the police tape line. That person was told “several times” not to cross the police tape. 

Then, according to the spokesman, another person was arrested later in the afternoon for doing the same thing. After that happened, the two officers went inside the Occupy ICE camp located outside the facility. When that happened, a person allegedly assaulted the two officers. That person was arrested and “pepper” was used to disburse a crowd that had gathered around the officers, according to the DHS spokesman. 

A press release from ICE protesters described the situation differently. That press release said 4-5 FPS officers were the first to engage, attempting to force their way into the occupiers’ camp. The release did not specifically mention anything to do with protesters attempting to make their way through police tape, which the DHS spokesman said was the cause for two arrests.

The ICE protesters’ press release confirmed that at least three people were arrested, adding that they were “violent arrests.”

The Federal forces are here to intimidate and inflict violence. They have been inflicting extreme violence on migrant peoples for many years, and would not hesitate to expound some form of that violence on those who resist in solidarity with frontline communities. Our focus is on community preparedness and strategic resistance, to ensure that everyone (especially frontline and most deeply impacted communities) are protected and safe.

Portland Police confirmed they responded to the scene due to an emergency dispatch from FPS.

The ICE protesters took notice. 

“A Portland Police Bureau supervisor showed up at around 1:37pm, and although they did not engage, their mere presence contributed to the tension of the situation,” the release said. 

Federal officers, clad in riot gear, removed occupy protesters that were blocking the ICE facility for over a week on June 28. Since then, protesters have remained camped near the facility. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Twitter News Widget

Trending Stories