31 in 2015: Those who died by homicide in Portland

N Mohawk Shooting 08182015 Q_193568

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN 6) — Homicide detectives investigated 31 deaths in 2015. Of those, 6 of the deaths are being investigated as gang-related.

Portland Police Sgt. Pete Simpson said, however, the number of gang-related homicides may change as investigations progress.

Two men, both 19, died by homicidal violence, making them the youngest victims. The average age of all the victims is 34.

As of late December, the Gang Enforcement Team had been assigned 191 cases for 2015. Final numbers should be available by Monday, Simpson said.

Craig Desmarais, 54, was shot on December 22, 2014 and died 12 days later. According to police, he was shot during an armed robbery at work. No arrests have been announced.

Randy Williams, 28, was shot and killed in the 900 block of Southeast 162nd Avenue on Jan. 23. Michael Aaron Wyatt Mininger, 23, was convicted of first-degree manslaughter and sentenced to 18 years in prison.

Elyesicia Payton, 22, was found dead on Feb. 18 in the Willamette River near Kelley Point Park. Prosecutors have asserted that Payton’s boyfriend, Nicholas Estrada, 22, used a hatchet-type weapon during the murder. Estrada is pending trial, which is slated to start in March 2016.

Esteban “Steve” Del Cid, 20, died Feb. 28 when he was shot in North Portland. Police arrested four people. Two teens were charged with hindering prosecution but the charges were later dismissed. Austin Luepke, 19, is charged with murder and is pending trial. Detectives have since uncovered video of the shooting which is being used as evidence against Luepke.

Marquis Delon Chaney, 29, was found on March 2 at the intersection of North Blandena Street and Commercial Avenue. An autopsy report shows that he died of multiple gunshot wounds to the head and neck. Chaney was a Jefferson High School graduate. Officers with the Gang Enforcement Team are assisting homicide detectives with the case. No arrests have been announced.

Beketel Elbelau Sleeper, 23, was shot and killed by his friend Isaiah Horatio Hayes, according to police. Detectives believe the shooting was “unintentional.” Hayes was convicted in Oct. of criminally negligent homicide and is serving a 5 year prison sentence.

Arthur James Palmer III, 46, died on March 28 when police said his 51-year-old cousin, Palmer Heyser, shot him during a dispute. Officers recovered a shotgun from the scene of the crime. Heyser is charged with murder and is pending trial, which is slated to start in June 2016.

Michael Harvey, 60, died from blunt force trauma. His body was found under the Morrison Bridge on April 8. Police believe that Harvey was involved in an altercation with another homeless individual. No arrests have been announced.

Gary Dat Pham, 33, and Susie Pham (Sut-Leng Chang), 41, were killed on April 10 in a double shooting in Southeast Portland. A third person was shot and critically wounded. Colby James Robinson, 26, was shot and killed by Desoto, Texas police in Dallas, Texas four days after the shooting in Portland. Detectives have said the motive to the double murder involved medical marijuana.

D’Andre Dickerson, 24, was found dead on May 6 after officers responded to gunshots heard near Northeast Dekum Street and Claremont Avenue. An autopsy report shows that Dickerson, who was from Seattle, was shot multiple times. No arrests have been announced.

Samantha Coffey, 42, was shot in the upper neck and killed on April 25. Her husband, John Grant Coffey, 57, was later arrested and indicted by a grand jury and charged with murder. The couple had been married for about 15 years. Coffey reportedly called 911 and told a dispatcher that he had killed his wife. Coffey’s defense attorney, Stephen Houze, asserts in court documents that the killing was not intentional. He argues Coffey was under “extreme intoxication” when he shot and killed his wife.

Mathew Deming, 38, died on May 14 after being stabbed by his former girlfriend. According to Portland Police, Misty Dawn Keeney, 39, has cooperated with investigators and has not been arrested in this case. The District Attorney’s Office said the investigation remains open and on-going.

Marvin Holiday, 54, was found dead June 4 when officers responded to the 300 block of Northwest 6th Avenue. In December, Patrick Rembert, 36, was convicted of criminally negligent homicide. Investigators said Rembert, a known drug dealer, and Holiday were involved in an altercation. An autopsy report shows that Holiday died of blunt force trauma that police believe stemmed from a single punch delivered by Rembert. He is serving six years in prison.

Dean Kuntz, 57, died on June 27 after being shot several times. Officers arrested Kuntz’s neighbor, Jon Landis, 48, and charged him with murder. Detectives said the men had a neighborhood dispute. Landis is charged with one count of murder. His trial is scheduled to start in June 2016.

Nicholas Lawson, 22, died after being involved with an altercation with his father, according to police. Officers responded to an apartment complex in the 1000 block of Southeast 122nd Avenue on reports of stabbing. Detectives arrested Michael Lawson, 58, and charged him with murder. Lawson’s trial is scheduled to start in September 2016.

Anthony Mancuso, 61, died after being involved in a fight at Portland International Raceway. Michael Taylor, 50, has been indicted by a grand jury and charged with one count of second-degree manslaughter and second-degree assault. Taylor told police that he was defending his son against Mancuso and his son during an altercation. He later died myocardial infarction, or heart attack, according to the Clark County Medical Examiner’s Office. The DA’s Office will close the case given Taylor’s death.

Brandon Kaufman, 35, was shot and killed on July 12 by Wayne Woodruff, 42, according to Portland Police. The shooting stemmed from a verbal altercation. Officers arrested Woodruff after hearing the shots ring out and turning their patrol car around and seeing him running from the scene, detectives said. Woodruff was suffering from a drug overdose at the time of his arrest.

Anthony Jackson Jr., 19, was gun downed hours after Kaufman. Officers in the area of Southeast 137th and Powell heard multiple rounds of gunfire and located Jackson suffering fatal gunshot wounds. The Gang Enforcement Team responded to help homicide detectives with the case. On Nov. 3, Deandrea Sanders, 25, was arrested and charged with murder. Jackson remains in custody. A bail hearing is set for Jan. 8.

Stephen McCorvey, 30, was shot to death on September 23 near the intersection of Northeast 15th Avenue and Buffalo Street. A 41-year-old woman was also shot but survived. Statics released by the Gang Enforcement Team two days after the death indicated that the shooting may have gang ties. No arrests have been announced.

Tyler Woods, 25, died on September 25 when he was shot by Ricky Seaman, according to court documents. Seaman fled the state and was arrested in Sacramento County, California on Oct. 1. His trial is scheduled to start in September. Detectives have said the shooting may have been motivated by drugs.

Eric Takemoto, 30, and Anthony Howard, 42, both died October 2 when they were shot outside the Hour Glass Pub in Northeast Portland. The shooting marked the second double-homicide in the city in 2015. A third person was wounded in the shooting, but survived. The Gang Enforcement Team responded to help homicide detective with the case. Robert Richardson Jr., 21, was arrested and charged with aggravated murder. A bail hearing has been scheduled for Feb. 26.

Maurice Gatson, 45, was killed outside the Pallas Club on Oct. 4. The Gang Enforcement Team responded to help homicide detectives with the investigation. Gatson had been shot multiple times, according to an autopsy report. No arrests have been announced.

Gerardo Granados-Marin, 33, was found dead on Oct. 5. According to police, Granados and another man walked to a camper where Leo Burns, 41 was staying in North Portland. Granados and the other man went into the trailer to score some drugs, according to police. Granados became confrontational when Burns told the two to leave. Burns was seen by a witness picking up a tool from his toolbox and using it to hit Granados in the head. An autopsy report shows that Granados died as a result of cutting and stab wounds. A trial has been set for Nov. 2016.

Dion Matthews Jr., 23, was found dead on Oct. 18 near the intersection of Southwest 3rd and Burnside. An autopsy report shows that the dead as a result of a gunshot wound. The Gang Enforcement Team is assisting with the investigation. No arrests have been announced.

Arthur Aihebhoria, 27, was killed Nov. 7. Officers found him suffering from a gunshot wound to the head in the 3900 block of Northeast Rodney Avenue. Aihebhoria was found on the pavement. A neighbor later came forward and told police that they heard a single gunshot around 6:30 p.m. but didn’t see anything and didn’t call 911. Aihebhoria’s body was found at 7:27 p.m. No arrests have been announced.

Laray Seamster, 26, died November 11. His body was found Wednesday November 11. An autopsy reports shows that Seamster died from multiple gunshot wounds. No arrests have been announced.

Dalton Marshall, 19, of Vancouver, was found dead on November 12 near the intersection of North Bruce Avenue and Hudson Street. Marshall had been shot. Detectives said Marshall may have been “socializing” along North Interstate Avenue in the hours prior to his death. No arrests have been made.

Kyle Polk, 21, was gunned down on Wednesday December 16 near the intersection of Southeast 112th and Division Street. Police and paramedics attempted lifesaving efforts but Polk died at the scene. Detectives have not said why, but they believe the suspect vehicle, a Chevy Suburban, GMC Yukon or Cadillac Escalade, maybe a rental vehicle. No arrests have been made.

Demarcus Spencer, 40, was shot and killed on Dec. 19 at the Dahuru Motorcycle club. Detective think there was an exchange of gunfire resulting in Spencer’s death. Two other people were wounded but survived. No arrests have been made.


Crime Stoppers of Oregon offers cash rewards for information, reported to Crime Stoppers, that leads to an arrest in any unsolved felony crime and tipsters can remain anonymous.

Information about unsolved homicides can lead to a reward of up to $2,500 cash. All other unsolved felony crimes are eligible for cash rewards of up to $1,000.

Information learned from social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter or YouTube should be shared as these tips may lead to the identification of a suspect or suspects. Links can be shared anonymously through Crime Stoppers.

Submit an anonymous tip:

Text CRIMES (274637) – Type 823HELP, followed by the tip.

Online at http://crimestoppersoforegon.com/submit_online_tip.php

Call 503-823-HELP (4357)

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Twitter News Widget

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss