Arrested protesters have day in Portland court


PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — The 4 people arrested during the Patriot Prayer – Antifa protests in downtown Portland Saturday had their day in court Monday.

Those 4 — Robert J. Majure, 27; Tracy L. Molina, 45; Tristan Rominemann, 28; and Joseph Evans, 34 — all face different charges stemming from an incident that began about midway through the dueling demonstrations.

Portland police kept the 2 groups separated on opposite sides of Southwest Naito. As the Patriot Prayer group began a march along the waterfront in Tom McCall Park, the antifa supporters marched along SW Naito.

Watch: PPB Chief Outlaw addresses protest, complaints

The antifa group stopped at SW Naito and Columbia, blocking that intersection. Police used loudspeaker warnings multiple times, telling the group to stop blocking the road or they would be dispersed.

Watch: KOIN  6 News reporters Lisa Balick, Jennifer Dowling from the protest

When protesters refused police orders to get out of the street, officers used less-lethal crowd control devices including rubber bullets, pepper spray and flash bangs to disperse people. 

Police said protesters were throwing rocks and bottles and several people were treated for injuries during tense moments. Oregonian reporter Eder Campuzano was hit in the head with a water bottle, but later tweeted that he was OK. 

On Sunday, PPB said they were looking into reports that people were injured during Saturday’s protest as a result of law enforcement actions.

The ACLU of Oregon called the PPB response “completely unacceptable.” The Office of Independent Police Review will be provided with the allegations for review and investigation.

The charges

Majure faces harassment and resisting arrest charges. Molina was arrested for 2nd-degree disorderly conduct and attempted assault on a police officer. Rominemann is charged with interfering with a police officer, 2nd-degree disorderly conduct and harassment.

Majure, Molina and Rominemann were officially charged on Monday. Majure told KOIN 6 News he was looking “forward to a good court case.”

Evans, who faced charges of reckless endangerment and unlawful use of a weapon, was “no complainted” and did not show up in court. A “no complaint” means charges could be re-instated at a later date or they could be dropped following further investigation.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Top Headlines

More News

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Twitter News Widget