PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A Klamath Falls man was arrested after he allegedly went on a crime spree and was eventually shot by a Hillsboro Police officer.

It was an all-hands-on-deck situation for Hillsboro officers, even pulling in resources from the county when just after 10:30 p.m. Thursday, they were called to a neighborhood on NE Lilac where a suspect assaulted a person and tried to take their car but was unsuccessful.

“While that information was coming in, not long after, and this is minutes that are rolling by, then we get a second caller,” said Sgt. Stewart Kelsey, a patrol sergeant with Hillsboro Police Department. 

Officers were then called around the corner to NE 17th where two men say the same suspect broke into their home and threatened them with a gun and knife. A 50-year-old man was slashed in the arm and says the suspect stole a handgun from the home and took off again. Just a few doors down, a third caller reported the suspect broke in and threatened them with a gun and stole their car.

A neighbor spoke with KOIN 6 off-camera to say the break-ins happened on each side of her home and she was almost a victim, alerted by her dog barking as someone jostled the front door handle trying to get in, before moving on.

“It’s shocking, I mean, for anyone. I mean, home invasion robberies are generally not something that you associate certainly with Hillsboro,” said Kelsey. 

Hillsboro police and the Washington County Sheriff’s Office then spotted the stolen car and started a pursuit miles away.

“All the way down into south Hillsboro. There was quite an in-and-out of all the side streets there,” said Kelsey. “Continued at very high rates of speed while we were in pursuit until he got to the roundabout at River and Scholls Ferry where he crashed out.”

Police say the suspect got out of the car and pointed a handgun at them, before a Hillsboro officer shot him. The suspect, identified as 40-year-old Patrick James Robertson of Klamath Falls, was given emergency first-aid by officers then taken to OHSU where he’s expected to be okay.

Hillsboro Police say it was hard to piece together the scenes as they unfolded but are thankful they were able to detain Robertson before anyone was seriously hurt.

“Thankfully, the pursuit took place late in the day, so traffic was light. It could’ve been a very different outcome had we had the volume of traffic that we see in the city during commuting hours,” said Kelsey. “We can respond the way that we did and we can bring things to a resolution with the least amount of impact to the community.”

Robertson is still receiving treatment at OHSU. He faces multiple charges including an existing parole violation warrant for attempted murder, as well as new charges from last night of robbery, burglary, assault and eluding police.