VANCOUVER, Wash. (KOIN) — A Clark County deputy was shot to death Friday night and a search for at least 3 suspects suspects prompted an hours-long shutdown of I-205 near Padden Parkway.

Two of the 3 suspects were detained, the Clark County Sheriff’s Office said around 1:20 a.m. Saturday. A third person of interest is still outstanding and law enforcement continues the search.

“Residents in the area of Padden Parkway/I-205 and surrounding neighborhoods should remain inside their residences, keep doors locked and report any suspicious activity to 9-1-1,” VPD said in a release early Saturday.

Authorities rushed to the Pointe Apartments on NE 109th Avenue after shots were reported around 7 p.m. The deputy was rushed to a hospital in serious condition. His death was announced around 11:30 p.m.

In a statement late Friday night, the Clark County Sheriff’s Office said:

“It is with great sadness the Clark County Sheriff’s Office is informing the community a deputy was killed in the line of duty this evening. This is a difficult time for the Clark County Sheriff’s Office, law enforcement agencies in Clark County and the surrounding Clark County, Portland metro area. Clark County law enforcement appreciates the support and understanding of the community in these tough times. The investigation is in its early stages and information will be release as it becomes available.”

A Lower Columbia SWAT team at the Pointe Apartments complex in Vancouver where a deputy was shot Friday evening, July 23, 2021. (KOIN)

At least three suspects were being sought in the area of Padden Parkway and I-205. People are urged to avoid the area or stay inside their homes.

Northbound I-205 was closed at SR-500 and the southbound I-205 offramp to Padden Parkway at milepost 33 was also closed as the initial search was underway.

Neighbors at the apartment complex reported hearing about five gunshots. Numerous law enforcement agencies, including Lower Columbia SWAT, responded to the shooting scene.

A large number of law enforcement officials were also seen at PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center in Vancouver.