PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — The officers involved in the fatal shooting of 27-year-old Patrick Kimmons will not face criminal charges. 

The Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office said the grand jury found Sgt. Garry Britt and Officer Jeffrey Livingston were acting in self defense or defense of a third person. 

Kimmons was shot on September 30, 2018, after police said he was involved in another shooting early that Sunday morning.

Watch: Protesters take to Portland streets over Patrick Kimmons shooting, October 31, 2018

A gun recoverd from near Patick Kimmons after he was shot on Sept. 30, 2018. (PPB) 

According to new investigation information released by PPB, around 3 a.m., Livingston and Britt came upon a fight in a parking lot near SW 3rd Avenue and SW Harvey Milk Street. During the fight, police said Kimmons fired 5 shots, injuring two people involved in the fight. 

Police said Kimmons ran toward the officers, still armed with a revolver. Officers fired 12 times at Kimmons, who was treated at the scene and then taken to the hospital, where he died. 

A gun was recovered from near Kimmons. 

The two people Kimmons shot went to the hospital with non life-threatening injuries. 
On Wednesday police released surveillance video from the shooting.
                             Warning: Graphic content

Portland Police Chief Danielle Outlaw and other command staff held a meeting with community members before the video was released to the public.

“We went into this meeting today, again, not knowing what to expect,” Outlaw said, “knowing that it could it possibly stir the pot, knowing that it was a huge gamble, but doing what we could to show we were committed to being open when we could and being willing to listen to some not-so-easy and difficult conversations.”

Several protests over this shooting have been held in downtown Portland since Kimmons died, sparking controversy and further protests of Mayor Ted Wheeler. People gathered and marched around City Hall on Wednesday after the Grand Jury ruling the video’s release. They believe, contrary to the ruling, that the shooting wasn’t justified. 

An undated DMV photo of Patrick Kimmons. (PPB) 

“He is running through the cars with his hands up after he was shot three times,” Kimmons’ brother, Arthuray Dudley, said, referencing the released surveillance footage. “His hands are up, but he’s still running and they are still shooting and after about eight shots he falls to the ground.”

Kimmons’ mom, Letha Winston, added: “How can you shoot someone who’s no longer a threat?”

The family told KOIN 6 News are they are looking into legal action. 

During the protest, while officers were diverting and managing traffic, 55-year-old Mark Dickerson allegedly drove through the crowd and struck a protester. Dudley told KOIN 6 News he was the one Dickerson allegedly hit with his Chevy Truck.

“He knocked me back like four feet, and I’m like whoa, and then he came again and, boom, knocked me out the way,” Dudley said. 

Mark Dickerson, 55, was arrested on Oct. 31, 2018, after Portland police said he struck a protester with his Chevy truck. (Courtesy: PPB)

Dudley did not require medical attention. Dickerson was booked in Multnomah County Jail on fourth-degree assault, reckless driving and reckless endangering. 

During an October 8 rally, someone’s car was damaged as they drove through the protest. Police said they were monitoring the situation but did not step in. That lack of police response sparked a rally by the right-wing group, Patriot Prayer, who spoke against Wheeler.