PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) – Two people were injured after they were struck by a suspected car thief trying to evade police in downtown Portland Friday afternoon, according to the Portland Police Bureau.

Around 3:30 p.m., police said they found two people unconscious in a black 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and proceeded to “‘box in'” the Jeep with police cars.

When the driver woke up, officials said he started the car and pushed a PPB vehicle out of the way. The driver then reportedly drove up a curb along Northwest Broadway and Hoyt and struck an occupied tent on the sidewalk — nearly hitting others.

According to PPB, two people inside of the tent were injured, including a 16-year-old girl who was taken to a hospital by ambulance with serious but non-life-threatening injuries. A man who was also inside the tent was treated on the scene, officials said.

A crash scene at Northwest Hoyt and Broadway in downtown Portland, Oregon on Friday, October 28, 2022. (KOIN)

While attending to the injured victims on the scene, PPB said the suspect left the scene. Then just before 5:15 p.m., police said they found the Jeep driving over the Broadway Bridge.

After initially refusing to stop, the driver and passenger jumped out of the car and ran along 2nd Avenue, officials said. PPB said moments later, they arrested the passenger, identified as 47-year-old Rafiki Magano, on Northeast 3rd Avenue and Northeast Clackamas Street.

Authorities said they later arrested the suspected driver just before 5:40 p.m. near Northeast 6th Avenue and Northeast Clackamas Street. However, PPB said detectives later determined the suspect was not the driver who eluded officers and struck the two people in the tent. PPB said that suspect is still being sought.

However, PPB said they arrested the driver, identified as 53-year-old Michael Godfrey on several charges including unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, possession of a stolen vehicle and attempt to elude police.

Magano was booked on a charge of felon in possession of a firearm.

PPB noted the Jeep had no license plates and was stolen from SW 6th Ave and Clay six days before the incident.

This is a developing story.