PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A Portland police officer fatally shot a man in Southeast Portland on Tuesday, July 30.

Police said a security officer in the area reported a man who was armed with an “edged weapon” was trying to break into a car.

Officers went to the area of SE 122nd and Ankeny Street and found the suspect, who was also reportedly armed with an ax or hatchet. They used less lethal force and then, “we had an officer-involved shooting shortly thereafter,” Lt. Tina Jones said.

She said officers attempted to save him and called paramedics but the man died at the scene.

The officer who fired his weapon was not hurt.

Witnesses told KOIN 6 News they saw the man running down Southeast 122nd with an ax before the shooting.

“I saw a man running towards people with the ax,” Timothy Allen said. “The cops followed him from down there to up here and shot him with the beanbag twice and the man kept running.”

Allen saw the man run down Ash Street and then heard more shots being fired. The man was shot in the area of Southeast 120th and Ash Street.

A witness who lives at the Ash Street Court apartments heard the man run into the courtyard.

“The guy ran right past us on Ash Street and as he ran past, he yelled ‘they are going to kill me,'” Michael said.

Michael didn’t see a weapon when the man ran by. He said he heard police give the man commands before firing 12-15 shots.

“It’s sickening, it’s shocking,” Michael said. “I just don’t understand why they did not continue to use non-lethal force. They could’ve tased him, used rubber bullets, or a bean bag. I just thought that, that was a little extreme.”

Southeast 122nd Avenue from East Burnside to Stark and surrounding streets were closed for hours while police investigated.

Anyone with information, photographs or video connected to this investigation should contact Portland Police Bureau Detective William Winters at 503-823-0466 or at william.winters@portlandoregon.gov or Detective Anthony Merrill at 503-823-4033 or at anthony.merrill@portlandoregon.gov