PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — An 18-year-old girl was killed in a shooting in Portland’s Lents neighborhood Friday afternoon, said police. There was a heavy police presence in the area SE 84th Avenue around 1 p.m. Multiple streets were blocked off as authorities investigated.

The victim was pronounced dead at the scene, according to police. Neighbors said she had just graduated from high school. Family and friends have identified her as Shai. On Saturday, the police later confirmed the victim’s identity as 18-year-old Shai-India Harris.

Neighbors said they heard someone fire 1 to 4 shots before seeing Shai fall to the ground. One witness said he saw her walking down the street just before the shooting and said it looked as if someone in a car had called her over, and when she neared the car window, she was shot. Police have not yet confirmed these details.

Memorial for Shai. July 10, 2020 (KOIN)

A memorial is already growing on SE 84th Avenue. Shai’s father, Sam, said it was too soon to talk about the situation.

A friend who had met Shai in school said she had a bright future ahead. Dezarae Sanders said Shai had just celebrated her birthday in May and had talked with her about possibly working for a year and then attending Clark College or another university. Sanders said she had also considered pursuing an education in cosmetology in order to become a stylist.

A cross put up in the spot where Shai was killed had been signed by her family and had her nickname “Shai Shai” written on it. Those who came out to offer condolences and pay their respects on Friday said she was loved and will be missed.

While police have identified her as Shai Harris, between friends, family, and social media, she has been identified as both Shai Harris and Shai Howard.

Shai’s friend Nia Dormezil told us, “She went as both Howard and Harris….she was a very sweet girl. Nothing can justify this.”  

No arrests related to the shooting have been made, according to Portland police.

Authorities also said this was the third homicide investigation detectives have been called out to in less than 24 hours.