BEAVERTON, Ore. (KOIN) — One person was killed and three others injured in a stabbing spree that began at the Murrayhill Marketplace shopping center in Beaverton.

The suspect — 20-year-old Salvador Martinez-Romero — was taken into custody and booked at the Washington County Jail on charges of murder, attempted murder and 1st-degree robbery, according to the Beaverton Police Department.

Henderson said one victim is in critical condition and the other two sustained serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

A booking photo of Salvador Martinez-Romero, Dec. 18, 2019. (Washington County Sheriff’s Office)

Authorities responded to the scene at Southwest Murray Boulevard and Teal Avenue at about 11 a.m. after receiving calls about multiple stabbings at the Wells Fargo Bank.

While responding, officers received another call about a man who had been stabbed in the parking lot of Planet Fitness, which is next door to Wells Fargo.

Police said Martinez-Romero stole the Planet Fitness victim’s car and drove south into Tigard. Tigard police received a report just minutes later that a woman had been stabbed and her vehicle stolen near SW Murray Boulevard and SW Scholls Ferry Road by the same suspect.

Martinez-Romero kept driving but eventually got out of the car at a Chevron near SW Pacific Hwy and SW Dartmouth Street, police said. Tigard police joined Beaverton officers in tracking him as he ran toward Westside Christian, putting the high school on lockdown.

He was eventually taken into custody peacefully.

One of the two women stabbed at Wells Fargo died.

Witness account

Dillon Prickett pulled into the parking lot at the Murrayhill Marketplace in Beaverton just after 11 a.m., about the same time as the first responding officers.

Prickett told KOIN 6 News he saw a frantic-looking woman holding open the door at the Wells Fargo branch. He ran into Insomnia Coffee next door, cut in line and told employees to lock their back door because something was going on at the bank.

“Then I went back outside and by that time the lady was still standing there I asked her if I could be of any help or if she needed anything,” he said. “She couldn’t even talk and they wheeled somebody out on a stretcher right as I was trying to have that conversation with her.”

As some of the paramedics helped that patient, Prickett said other police and paramedics went rushing into the bank. A nearby salon also locked their doors.

Witnesses near where the second stolen car was abandoned were shocked at the scene, saying the suspect was dropping money as he ran away.

“My boss was following him, picking money up. He turned it over to the cops,” a Chevron employee told KOIN 6 News.

‘Horrific crime’

At a press conference later held on Wednesday afternoon, Beaverton Police Chief Ronda Groshong said the investigation would take some time due to there being several crime scenes.

She thanked their law enforcement partners, including the Tigard Police Department, the Washington County Sheriff’s Office, the Washington County Major Crimes Team, Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue, Metro West Ambulance and Washington County Consolidated Communication Agency. She also thanked Insomnia Coffee for opening its doors to those affected by the incident.

“This was a horrific crime and our hearts go out to those victims and their families,” said Groshong.

At the press conference, Beaverton Mayor Denny Doyle expressed his deep sadness over joining other mayors across the country who have experienced violent tragedy within their respective communities.

“If we don’t start addressing mental health issues … we are not serving our country properly,” he said.

Wells Fargo released the following statement, in part:

“We are deeply saddened that an incident at our Murray Hill Marketplace branch in Beaverton resulted in the senseless death of one of our customers and injuries sustained by others. We offer our heartfelt condolences to those who lost their loved one. Our thoughts are also with the innocent people who witnessed this heinous crime.”