Suspect killed, officer shot while assisting DEA with warrant


PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A suspect was killed and an officer was injured during a shootout in North Portland on Friday morning, according to the Portland Police Bureau.

Just before 6:30 a.m., PPB officers were assisting the United States Drug Enforcement Administration with serving a warrant at the 1600 block of North Willis Avenue. By the time police arrived at the scene, the suspect was armed inside an apartment and had reportedly been threatening to shoot federal officers.

After an hour, a shot was fired through a wall and struck an officer in the hip. Meanwhile, more shots were fired between the suspect and other officers, police said.

The suspect was ultimately found dead. He was identified on Saturday as 30-year-old Alexander Tadros. An autopsy determined he died from the shots fired by one or both of the officers.

Jesse Mendoza is visiting from out of town and staying nearby. He said he heard loud banging.

“There was police and a gentleman arguing, I’m not sure what was going on, we just heard them yelling and screaming,” Mendoza said.

“An officer came in and escorted us outside to make sure we were safe.”

The officers who fired shots were Joshua Howery and Jake Ramsey with PPB’s Special Emergency Reaction Team. Howery is a 20-year veteran of PPB, and Ramsey has been with the department for four years, police said. They have been placed on paid administrative leave.

Portland Police officers were not involved in the warrant service. They were called by the DEA to assist after the DEA started their operation.

Late Friday afternoon, a DEA spokesperson said agents were serving the search warrant when the gunfire happened.

“The investigation remains on-going and in order to preserve the integrity of that process, we cannot provide additional information at this time,” DEA officials said.

The injured officer was treated at a hospital for a hip injury and was released around noon. Chief Chuck Lovell said the officer was a 14 year veteran of the bureau and worked in the North Precinct.

“I know a lot of people are concerned about the officer, and I wanted let everyone know how thankful I am the officer is ok,” Lovell said.

Mayor Wheeler released a statement about the incident via Twitter on Thursday afternoon.

“I want to thank the police officers involved in assisting federal agents today as well as the dedicated and hard-working police officers who are often put in very dangerous situations to try to keep the peace in our community,” he said.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Twitter News Widget

Trending Stories