Suspect in custody after teen stabbed in NE Portland

Crime
Carlos_S_Nampulacruz NE stabbing 02082018

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A man is accused of stabbing a Benson High School student during a random and unprovoked attack, according to police. 

Carlos Nampula-Cruz, 38, was arrested Thursday afternoon after police responded to reports of a man threatening a couple with a knife near NE 9th and NE Flanders. While the officers were headed to the scene, they got reports that someone had been stabbed, according to court documents. 

Portland police investigate a stabbing at NE Glisan Street and NE 12 Avenue on Feb. 8, 2018. (KOIN)

Police found the 17-year-old boy sitting on the ground with his shirt off. A friend was applying pressure to injured teen’s shoulder. The victim had a ¾ inch long wound, according to court documents. The teen was taken to the hospital. 

The teen told police that he was near NE 11th and NE Glisan when a man came up to him and started speaking Spanish. The teen said the man suddenly stabbed him without warning or provocation.

As officers were investigating the stabbing, they spoke with an adult who reported that a brick had been thrown through his vehicle’s passenger side window, according to court documents. 

One witness told police that after Nampula-Cruz stabbed the boy, he shoved a bicyclist and was yelling at other people as they drove by. 

A parent and her 15-year-old son told police they were inside their car outside of Benson High School when someone walked up carrying a “combat knife” and started kicking the door, damaging it. 

Officers found video from a nearby business that captured some of the events as they unfolded, according to court records. The video shows Nampula-Cruz throwing the brick at the car and breaking the window, stabbing the teenaged boy.

Nampula-Cruz was interviewed by assault detectives but declined to make any statements. 

Nampula-Cruz told jail staff during his booking process that “I have anger issues but I control them,” according to court records. 

A criminal records search on Nampula-Cruz did not reveal any prior convictions; however, he does have a restraining order filed against him. 

Nampula-Cruz appeared in court on Friday by video and was arraigned on charges second-degree assault, attempt assault, unlawful use of a weapon, and criminal mischief. In all, he is facing a total of 8 criminal allegations. 

Nampula-Cruz is scheduled to be back in court on Feb. 20. He remains in custody and his bail has been set at more than $250,000. 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Top Headlines

More News

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Twitter News Widget