BEAVERTON, Ore. (KOIN) — Officials said the person who sent the email threat to a school in Washington County last week may never be found.
The threat prompted a lockdown at Stoller Middle School on Friday. Armed officers searched each room of the school. Students were released one by one to parents and guardians in a process that lasted hours.
A similar situation played out at Liberty High School on Monday due to a false accusation that a student had a gun.
Lt. John Bennett is in charge of school resource officers in Washington County. Bennet, along with other law enforcement and district officials, met with parents of Stoller Middle School students Wednesday night to try to ease their concerns.
Many parents want to know if their kids are safe since the person who sent the email threat has not been found.
One parent said, “I’m very concerned with how this is being managed now because I don’t feel the threat is over. It’s still there.”
Bennett told KOIN 6 News that tracking the person who sent the email isn’t an easy task and there’s a good chance the suspect will never be found.
“We may not be able to identify where this came from, or if we do it may be a bogus email,” explained Bennett. “Anyone who has opened an email knows there is not really a check and balance and ID verification before you can open an email account.”
While a suspect may never be found, officials do hope to find out whether the threat was ever credible.
The case is still under investigation.
Washington County deputies say they’re working to improve their response to incidents involving schools. They currently train for these kinds of situations twice a year.
“We do it at actual schools so we can get an idea of school size, layouts and we’ll work the active threat training through those schools and its very realistic training that we do,” said Bennett.
For now, a police officer will always be stationed at Stoller Middle School during the day.