PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — After the gun scare on Friday, Parkrose students felt mixed emotions as they returned to school on Monday.

Many said they were ready for things to get back to normal while others said they were anxious.

“I was nervous to come back to school,” senior Sam Madden told KOIN 6 News.

The feelings are understandable. Portland police said Angel Granados Diaz, 18, walked into the high school and into a classroom with a loaded shotgun. 

Sam Madden is a senior at Parkrose High School, May 20, 2019. (KOIN)

“I was scared for my brother the most because he goes to the middle school right over there,” Sam said. “I was texting him a lot, and I just broke down because I was so scared for him. He was scared for me. I know my parents were scared for me.”

Keanon Lowe, the head football coach, reacted quickly and tackled the armed student — preventing him from using the gun. No one was injured.

While Friday’s incident could have been much worse, Sam said it still hurts.

“I just want people to know we’re not faking any of this,” he said. “This is all real, this is all traumatic for everyone involved.”

Many students said it’s surreal.

“What happened at Parkrose…to have happened at Parkrose, I never would have thought it would happen here,” freshman Marissa Murray said.

Students, including Sam and Marissa, want to speak out for change.

Marissa Murray is a freshman at Parkrose, May 20, 2019. (KOIN)

“There just needs to be more gun control laws,” Marissa said.

Parkrose students only have two weeks left before summer vacation — and they want to end the year strong.

“We’re a community,” Marissa said. “We’re going to get through this together.”

The school had more security on Monday. There’s also counseling available to students and staff members to help them cope with Friday’s gun scare.

Diaz is charged with possessing a gun in a public building, attempting to discharge a firearm at a school, reckless endangerment and possession of a loaded firearm in a public place. He’s scheduled to make his first court appearance on Monday afternoon.