PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — One of the women allegedly targeted by the man known as the “TriMet Barber” is asking why he is still allowed to use the TriMet system.
Amy, who wanted to keep her last name private, told KOIN 6 News she was riding a MAX train on March 20 in Southwest Portland when a man on the same train reached from behind and touched her 3 times.
“Just a few seconds later, I felt it again,” Amy said, describing the incident. “It was much more deliberate in that somebody’s hands were clearly trying to reach into my armpit and touch me.”
Amy learned this week that the man who had touched her is known as the “TriMet Barber” and he had been arrested for allegedly touching and harassing another woman on the light rail.
Registered sex offender Jared Weston Walter was arrested Tuesday on charges of sex abuse, harassment, sexual harassment and interfering with public transportation.
He pleaded not guilty to the charges on Wednesday.
Amy said she didn’t understand how Walter was still allowed to use TriMet transportation.
“I don’t understand why it keeps happening and why he keeps being allowed to get back out,” she said. “Women keep getting victimized over and over again by this man yet he keeps being released and basically set out into the world to keep doing it again and again and nobody seems to care.”
Walter has, in the past, been banned for 90-day periods from TriMet. TriMet also has the authority to permanently ban him.
“Once we have additional information, we will evaluate whether the alleged conduct may qualify for a longer exclusion,” TriMet officials said. They added that Walter will be banned again for 90 days if he is released.