Multnomah County

PPB: Hostage-taker killed at Del Rancho Motel

Officer-involved shooting ended the situation Thursday

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) --  A fight that turned into a hostage situation at a Southeast Portland motel ended with the suspect shot to death by a Portland police officer.

Around 9:10 a.m., police were called to the area near the Del Rancho Motel, 7622 SE 82nd Avenue, because two people were fighting. The fight started at a nearby 7-Eleven, according to workers. One of those involved had a knife and police said someone matching his description was spotted going into a room at the motel.

Officers went to the motel and determined the man was holding a woman hostage and threatened to kill her, authorities said. 

Both SERT -- Special Emergency Reaction Team -- and a Crisis Negotiation Team went to the scene. 

"As the officers with the SERT team were setting up around the motel, an officer fired a shot striking and killing the suspect," PPB Sgt. Chris Burley said. He clarified that it was one officer firing one shot.

The names of the people involved in this incident have not yet been released. Traffic was closed in the area for hours as investigators gathered evidence and information.

"We're talking to witnesses, reviewing our surveillance footage to learn exactly where the fight between 2 people occurred," Burley said.

Asked if this was the same man who was involved in a recent hatchet attack, Burley sidestepped a direct answer.

"One of the things that detectives will be looking at as we continue the investigation (is) 'Is this man known to the police bureau? Have we contacted him before? What has been done in the past when we've contacted him?'" 

They're also looking into whether the suspect and the woman who was held hostage knew each other.

"There's info that I know we all heard over the police radio, the scanners," Burley said. "We need to verify that information, though, before I'm able to provide that."

The officer is on paid administrative leave, standard protocol in these situations.

There are no reports of anyone else being hurt and the woman held hostage is going to be OK, officials said.

Statement from PPB Chief Danielle Outlaw

"No police officer wants to use lethal force, and it is with great responsibility that we accept this authority. That is why we have a robust investigative and review process to ensure responsible transparency. We know the community wants to understand what occurred and we will release information as soon as appropriate. However, we ask for patience as these investigations take time and we need to ensure we protect the integrity of the investigation." 

'He's been staying here for quite a few days'

Marissa Manning, who's been staying for about a week at the hotel with her husband and young children, said she woke up to knocks on the door from the police.

"I come out, there's SWAT people everywhere, dogs everywhere, police everywhere," Manning told KOIN 6 News. 

She said she's seen the suspect over the past few days. 

"I know he's been staying here for quite a few days, but that's as far as I know," she said. "He asked me for a cigarette once, but that's about it."

Manning said the whole incident was very scary, "especially because my kids are here. Very scary."

More Stories

Meet the Team

  • The KOIN 6 News Team
    Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Latest News - Local

Video Center