PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) -- It took five years to press charges in a 2011 rape of a 19-year-old in Downtown Portland. Now, just over a year later after those charges were levied, the case has come to a close.
A 12-person jury convicted Curtis Clint Williams, 56 when the rape happened, on multiple counts, including rape, first-degree sodomy and first-degree sex abuse, according to the Multnomah County District Attorney's Office. A date for sentencing was not announced.
The victim, a 19-year-old at the time, reported to police on Sept. 30, 2011, that she had been raped inside the Alder Hotel Apartments. But Williams and the victim, according to a probable cause affidavit obtained last year, met near a TriMet ticketing machine when Williams complimented" the victim and "asked if she'd take the MAX with him toward the Lloyd Center."
Eventually the two, according to the affidavit, made it back to his apartment where Williams ordered her to sit down and take off her clothes. She refused.
"If you don't do what I say, I'm going to do worse," Williams told the victim, according to the affidavit.
Williams went on to rape her, the affidavit said.
This case was a part of a process to eliminate the backlog of sexual assault kits across the state, which began in 2015. An audit by the Oregon Secretary of State in May found the backlog is on track to be eliminated by the end of 2018.
In this case, the victim was taken to OHSU the night of the attack where multiple DNA samples were collected. In 2016, the victim's rape kit was sent to a private lab in Salt Lake City, Utah. The analysis revealed a male profile on one of the swabs that came from the teen's breast. That profile was later compared to a profile obtained in 2017 by police.
Williams is also facing multiple sex abuse charges in connection for a 2017 case with a 24-year-old woman.