PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — A man died early Saturday morning in a house fire that was started a cigarette.
Portland Fire and Rescue said crews found fire coming out the windows of the house on SE Taggert Street just after 5 a.m. There was a large hole just inside the front door, creating a hazard for firefighters.
“When they entered the structure they did find a hole in the floor which they had to work around,” fire investigator Rob Garrison said.
Crews found the man inside and determined he was dead. He has not been identified yet.
“They were able to get the fire knocked down fairly quickly and a short time later they did find a victim inside the house,” Garrison said.
Investigators said careless smoking is the cause of the fire. Officials want to remind everyone to be careful with cigarettes and dispose of them safely.