Mom, 5 kids die in Michigan motel fire

File - Generic Fire Truck with Lights on at Night_197628

SODUS TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — Authorities have identified a woman and her five children that died after a fire broke out at a Berrien County motel.

Investigators say 26-year-old Kiarre Samuel and her five young children; 10-year-old Marquise Thompson, seven-year-old Gerome Randolph, five-year-old Samuel Curtis, four-year-old Savod Curtis and two-year-old Avery Curtis were all killed as a result of the fire.

The flames started around 1:45 a.m. Saturday at Cosmo Extended Stay near I-94  in Sodus Township, about 4 miles southeast of Saint Joseph.

Several people, including four first responders were transported to Lakeland Medical center where the six individuals were confirmed dead at the hospital as a result of the fire.

The four first responders and four other individuals were treated for smoke inhalation, they have since been released.

At the time of the incident, authorities say 27 rooms were occupied at this extended living facility. 

The Red Cross is working on finding shelter for the displaced individuals. 

Authorities say that nearly 90 percent of the rooms at the motel sustained smoke, fire or water damage.

It’s unclear at this time what sparked the fire.

WOOD TV is a sister station with KOIN 6 News.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Twitter News Widget

Trending Stories