According to the City of Kannapolis, Sgt. Dot Cole is the oldest living Marine.
She joined the Marine Corps during World War II in 1943.
Sgt. Cole completed her training at Camp Lejeune and was then stationed at Quantico. City officials say she primarily served in an administrative role.
Last month, another North Carolina woman celebrated a monumental birthday. Hester Ford turned 116, making her the oldest living person in the United States.
GET THE LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX8.COM:
- Japan to decide on overseas fans attendance at Tokyo Olympics by end of month
- White House officials give COVID-19 update after Biden lays out new vaccine timeline
- Findlay Hats opens new retail location in downtown Portland
- No fans from abroad for postponed Tokyo Olympics, report says
- Dr. Seuss books going for exorbitant prices on Amazon