PGE aims to restore power for 90% of customers by Friday night

Oregon

Thousands powerless since Friday night

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Hundreds of crews, including some from out-of-state, are working around-the-clock to restore power to PGE customers who have been without electricity for days.

Portland General Electric said Wednesday it aimed to restore power to 90% of customers by Friday night.

“By Friday night we expect 90% of customers currently without power will be restored,” said PGE Vice President of Grid Architecture, Integration & Systems Operations Larry Bekkedahl. “For the remaining 10%, due to the significant damage and access challenges, we expect that it will take several more days.”

During a media briefing on Wednesday morning, Maria Pope, PGE president and CEO said they have already restored power to 490,000 customers and hope to have another 100,000 customers re-energized by noon on Thursday.

Pope said PGE’s website will now display where crews are working in each neighborhood.

PGE’s website

“Customers may not see PGE crews in the neighborhood, but I want to assure you that we are actively working,” Pope said. “I understand the communities we serve want more information.”

PGE said they cannot say for sure when everyone will have power back. Customers can continue to find restoration information here.

Pacific Power said Wednesday it was making “determined progress” and had restored power to more than 90% (over 74,000 homes and businesses) of its impacted customers.

“Restoration came quicker in the Portland area as most of the damage involved downed lines, we now have less than 300 customers without service in the area,” said Allen Berreth, vice president of operations. “The damage in the areas of Dallas, Stayton and Albany is far more extensive involving many cross arms and entire poles that needed replacement. This work is much more time consuming, but we have the crews and equipment to get everyone back online. Through this long slog our customers have shown extraordinary patience and we appreciate their understanding of the hard work our crews are doing to get power back on as safely and quickly as possible.”

As of 5 p.m. February 17, 2021:

PGE
Over 132,000 customers
Pacific Power
4,956 customers

Crews prioritize areas with the highest concentration of power customers. Along with the downed power lines, there were hundreds of downed transmission lines that shuttle electricity from power stations to customers. However, as of Wednesday morning, the number of downed transmission lines was down to 11.

Families are advised to be prepared for the outages to continue.

“As soon as we can give you a more realistic estimate we will,” said Steve Corson with PGE, “right now we need people to be prepared for the fact that it could be several days yet.”

PGE outages map
Pacific Power outages map
Clark County PUD outages
Salem Electric outages

Thousands of customers have been without power since Friday in some of the coldest temperatures of the season. Several homeowners told KOIN 6 News they still hadn’t seen any service crews in their neighborhoods by Tuesday.

Clark County

Most power has been restored to Clark County and many residents were able to dig out and cure their cabin fever.

Additionally, the Clark County Department of Health announced all COVID-19 appointments at the Clark County Fairgrounds that were delayed by the storm have all been rescheduled. They listed the details of the rescheduled times on their Twitter feed.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Twitter News Widget

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss