Police: Stolen gun used in downtown shooting

News
charles edward maxey 01092018_1515528439900.jpg.jpg

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) – The 9 mm handgun used in a shooting in downtown over the weekend was reported stolen in 2016, according to police.

The investigation started on Jan. 6, 2018 when two police officers were driving on Southwest Natio Parkway near the Burnside Bridge and heard a loud explosion.

The officers reported to emergency dispatchers that the sound they heard may have been a firework or a gunshot.

Looking to investigate, the officers turned their patrol car into the area underneath the Burnside Bridge and started to see people getting up and moving around.

The officers found a man on the ground who appeared to be suffering from a gunshot wound.

Someone in the crowd yelled out a suspect description that was later broadcasted over police radios.

Other officers would eventually take Maxey into custody in Waterfront Park.

Police recovered a 9 mm shell casing from the scene, according to court documents.

While police were talking with Maxey he reportedly said that he had found the gun and that he dropped it, causing it to discharge.

“Is everyone ok,” he asked, according to court documents.

Police found a pistol in Maxey’s front pant pocket, according to court documents.

The gun had been reported as stolen in 2016.

The victim was taken to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center and is expected to survive his injuries.

Detectives spoke with Maxey and he later admitted that he knew the gun he had was stolen and confirmed that he is a convicted felon, which prevents him from owning or possessing a gun, according to court documents.

Maxey told police that he saw the victim near the Skidmore Fountain, “watched him for a while” and confirmed that he and the victim had bad blood between them.

Maxey claimed the gun accidentally discharged, according to court documents.

Maxey is charged with second-degree assault, first-degree theft, unlawful use of a weapon, and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

He appeared in court on Monday and a not guilty plea was entered on his behalf. He is scheduled to be back in court on Jan. 17, 2018.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss