PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Two firefighters were hurt in a 2-alarm house fire in Northwest Portland Friday morning, fire officials said.

Portland Fire & Rescue tweeted at 10:30 a.m. Friday that crews were responding to a fire on NW Eloise Lane.

While searching for the main body of the fire, PF&R said a firefighter fell through a hole that burned through the first floor of the house. The firefighter was helped by another crew member and sustained minor injuries, officials said.

According to the fire department, the main body of the fire was found in a large crawl space under the first floor of the 4,000 square foot home.

  • Two firefighters were injured while battling a house fire in Northwest Portland on July 15, 2022
  • Two firefighters were injured while battling a house fire in Northwest Portland on July 15, 2022

Another firefighter was reportedly injured while working outside of the house and sustained minor injuries. PF&R said both firefighters were taken to a hospital.

Crews said they were able to save one turtle from the fire, however two guinea pigs and a rabbit were found dead.

PF&R said the fire was caused by a pet cage heat lamp on the first floor that ignited the floor. Officials said the fire burned a hole through the floor and extended into a crawl space below. Crews reported the fire traveled 15 feet through the crawl space and burned a second hole through the floor of another room.

According to PF&R, the house had a residential sprinkler system that was able to extinguish part of the fire on the floor but could not reach the crawl space.

PF&R advises Portlanders to install residential sprinklers in their homes as they can save lives and decrease the severity of a fire.