Portland protests: Large peaceful; Smaller violent, 50 arrested


A timeline of events from June 6, 2020

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Protests against police brutality continued into their ninth day in Portland.

The Saturday protest followed a now-familiar pattern: a large group of peaceful protesters marched through the streets from Revolution Hall to Irving Park. Around midnight that group marched back to Revolution Hall and this peaceful protest ended.

A second group began at Pioneer Courthouse Square around 9 p.m., then moved to the Justice Center and merged with another group which arrived there around 6 p.m. Around 10:50 p.m. an “unlawful assembly” was declared and 50 people were arrested by midnight. Two Multnomah County deputies were hurt by a thrown firework. Both are being evaluated for concussions.

On Sunday, police reported that 48 adults were arrested during Saturday night’s protest and two other adults were arrested and released. The majority of arrests were for charges of interfering with a police officer and disorderly conduct. Three people were additionally charged with attempted assault, one person was charged with assaulting a public safety officer and another person was charged with third-degree assault. One suspect was charged with burglary and theft, and another suspect was charged with the unlawful possession of a firearm. The list of arrests can be read here.

Here is a timeline of events from Saturday, June 6, 2020:

11:30 p.m

Between 11:30 p.m. and midnight, Portland police and other law enforcement agencies arrested 50 people on various charges. Around midnight, a “commercial grade firework was launched over the fence at the Justice Center” and injured 2 Multnomah County deputies. It wasn’t until around 2 a.m. the rest of the “agitators” were cleared from the scene, police said.

11 p.m.

Minutes before 11 p.m. Portland police declared the demonstration outside the Justice Center an “unlawful assembly and civil disturbance.” The message was put out both via loudspeaker and on Twitter:

“Please leave now. The area of downtown from SW Naito to 13th and SW Lincoln to Burnside is now closed. Leave now.”

Shortly after 11:30 p.m. police officers came out from behind the fence and continued to tell demonstrators to leave over the loudspeaker as they advanced on the crowd. Witnesses said there was smoke in the air.

10 p.m.

Hundreds of people gathered in Chapman Square outside the Justice Center that has been fenced off by police.

The Portland Police Bureau could be heard periodically over the loudspeaker telling the crowd to not “tamper or climb on the fence.” If people did, police said they would be “subject to arrest or use of force.” Portland Tribune reporter Zane Sparling reported seeing what appeared to animal feed being tossed over the fence. Sparling also reported seeing flowers being thrown over the fence. Police then added “animal feed” to their message of things that shouldn’t be thrown over the fence.

For a brief period of time earlier in the ten o’clock hour, the Portland Police Bureau allowed media to film behind the fence that lines the Justice Center.

The Portland Police Bureau permitted media to film from behind the fence that lines the Justice Center. June 6, 2020 (KOIN)

9 p.m.

Canopies and a sound system were set up at Irving Park so that organizers could continue the speeches that they started at Revolution Hall.

During the nine o’clock hour, Portland police spokesperson, Lt. Tina Jones, shared “the first of several anticipated briefings” on the Saturday protests via Twitter. She said the Portland Police Bureau was currently monitoring two groups of protesters—the demonstration at Irving Park, and a group that was near Pioneer Square and had since left to march. PPB’s Demonstration Liaisons were out at both locations “connecting with demonstration participants.”

Thousands of protesters arrive at Irving Park in Northeast Portland. June 6, 2020 (KOIN)

“Our primary goal is life safety,” said Jones. She asked for the public to be observant and report any life safety issues to the police.

Shortly before 10 p.m. police began warning demonstrators not to tamper with the fence that surrounds the Justice Center. The flood lights had been turned on and protesters gathered outside the perimeter.

8 p.m.

After marching up Grand Ave from Revolution Hall, thousands of protesters poured into Irving Park for the second leg of their demonstration Saturday evening.

Meanwhile, in downtown Portland, a second group of protesters gathered at Pioneer Square. Portland Tribune reporter Zane Sparling reported that people of color were invited to speak to the crowd. Around 8:30 p.m. those protesters left Pioneer Square and began marching up West Burnside Street.

7 p.m.

Hundreds of people marched out of the lawn outside Revolution Hall to go north to Irving Park at NE Fremont Street and NE 7th Avenue.

6 p.m.

Protesters gathered at Revolution Hall, the frequent starting point for marches in the city in recent days. Food and refreshments were available for everyone and music played over a loudspeaker in the moments before the demonstration began.

Organizers with the Rose City Justice Coalition spoke to the crowd and vowed to continue the protests, everyday, starting at 6 p.m. at the Revolution Hall.

“We can’t allow a little bit of rain to stop us. If you’re really in this fight with us, you’ll be out here today regardless of the rain,” said Manna Tesfamichael with Rose City Justice. “We don’t want the old Portland to come back, or things to go back the way it used to be. We need change and that’s what we demand.”

Portraits of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor were set out at Revolution Hall. June 6, 2020 (KOIN)

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Twitter News Widget

Trending Stories