PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) – The man who violently attacked 2 women on the same day in July was sentenced to 35 years in prison Friday after pleading guilty to multiple charges.
Sergio Jose Martinez — who has a lengthy history of violating immigration law — pleaded guilty to first-degree burglary, first-degree sodomy, first-degree sexual abuse, first-degree kidnapping, first-degree robbery, second-degree assault, attempted first-degree sexual abuse and second-degree assault.
The daughter of one of the women attacked spoke in court Friday. KOIN 6 News is not identifying her in order to protect her mother’s identity.
“You deserve more punishment than you have received here,” she said. “We don’t feel that justice has been served with this or any possible sentence. The only consolation is that a dangerous person is no longer in a place where he can hurt people because you have been caught and you are going to jail.”
One of the women’s brothers told Martinez, “Sergio, no sentencing is enough…I rather you rot in hell.”
When Martinez exited the courtroom, he told the women’s families “See all you guys in hell.”
The first attack in Northeast Portland happened in the early morning hours of July 24 when a woman woke up after hearing noises inside her apartment, according to court documents. The 65-year-old woman told police that she had left a window open overnight to cool down her apartment because of the heat.
The man, later identified as Martinez, repeatedly told the woman to “shut up,” according to court documents, and had a tapered metal rod in his hand. Police learned that he closed the bedroom door, moved a table against the door and ordered the woman to the ground. He used socks to bind her hands and feet, blindfolded her, threatened to kill her and then sexually assaulted her.
After the assaults, Martinez stole the woman’s purse and car. The woman went to a neighbor’s apartment to call 911. Using data from the woman’s cell phone, police tracked the phone to the area of Southeast Stark Street and Southeast 99th Avenue. Police located the vehicle and put undercover officers in the area to watch the vehicle.
While the officers were waiting to see if Martinez would return to the car, they learned that he had been arrested after attacking another woman in a parking garage at Northeast 21st Avenue and Northeast Halsey Street.
In that attack, it’s alleged that Martinez approached a woman as she left work. The woman told police that Martinez was armed with a knife. When the woman told Martinez that she wanted to get to her car, he reportedly told her “I just want to talk to you.”
He threatened to kill the woman she if yelled out, according to court documents, and ordered the woman into her car.
With both of them inside the car, Martinez forced the woman to slide into the passenger seat. He then locked the door. The woman was able to get out of the car, but her door put her up against a wall – with no place to escape. Martinez tackled the woman to the ground and started bashing her head into the concrete floor over and over again, according to court documents.
The woman started screaming. “Help! He has a knife! He’s trying to kill me.”
People in the area heard the woman’s pleas for help and starting coming down the garage. Martinez tried to get the woman’s car to start and drive away but the vehicle did not move, according to court documents. Officers arrived on scene as Martinez starting to run away on foot. He ran through private property and was eventually taken into custody.
Martinez faced a 25-count indictment that alleged four counts each of first-degree burglary, first-degree sexual abuse, first-degree robbery; two counts each of first-degree sodomy, second-degree assault, unlawful use of a weapon, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, ID theft; and one count each of criminal trespass.
According to court documents obtained by KOIN 6 News, Martinez’ arrest record began in 2003. He has been jailed in California and Oregon several times. At age 15, he completed a drug and alcohol treatment program in Texas.
Martinez moved to Portland within the last three years. He appears to be transient with no fixed address. He has used a Northwest Portland shelter as his mailing address. Martinez told officials that he picks up construction jobs to make money.
“Defendant has entry/removal from United States to/from Mexico 20 times with at least 5 probation violations from re-entry,” according to court documents filed in March 2017.
His most recent removal from the United States was in November 2016, but it remains unknown when he re-entered the U.S.
Records show that Martinez has lived in Multnomah County consistently since 2017. The county has issued 9 failure to appear warrants against Martinez since September 1986. According to an official Portland Police Bureau report, officers had arrested Martinez a total of 13 times since 2008.
The police bureau has a total of 7 different names and various birth dates Martinez has used over the years. Several federal cases have been filed against Martinez for his alleged illegal re-entry into the United States.
In September, U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions appeared in Portland and spoke to employees with the Department of Homeland Security. Sessions talked about Martinez’ case, and said that federal immigration officers saw Martinez’s name on a list of inmates and asked to be notified if Martinez was going to be released. The Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office, according to the Department of Justice, failed to notify ICE about Martinez release.
MCSO said they were complying with state and federal law that prohibits them from releasing certain information on immigration matters.