Day 24: Arrests made as protests continue outside Justice Center


PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Multiple arrests were made while demonstrators gathered outside the Justice Center for the nightly protest Sunday evening. As Portland enters its fourth week of protests, Sunday marked day 24 of demonstrations against police brutality.

Several arrests were made overnight, as demonstrators refused to leave the street outside the Justice Center and the Portland Police Bureau’s Central Precinct. Just after midnight, the demonstrators started marching back to Southwest 3rd Avenue near Southwest Madison Street, standing in the street once again despite warnings from police.

Police say plastic bottles were thrown at them while making more arrests. It is not yet clear how many arrests were made.

There were still around 80 to 100 people at Chapman Square by about 12:40 a.m., but police say that most people had left the area within another hour.

Earlier in the night, a few dozen people occupied Chapman Square across the street from the Justice Center, and at the intersection of Salmon and 3rd. Roadblocks of sandbags and caution tape were set across the intersection, however, authorities quickly removed them.

Portland police later referenced the roadblock on Twitter: “SW 3rd Ave from SW Main to SW Madison St is open to vehicular traffic. You are not allowed to block or impede traffic. Please vacate the roadway and proceed to the sidewalk. If you remain in the roadway you are subject to arrest.”

Tensions over where protesters stood rose as the evening wore on. Before 10 p.m. officers started arresting a few of the demonstrators.

A line of more than a dozen police officers in riot gear stood on the sidewalk to keep the crowd from occupying the street in front of the Justice Center. Protesters stood face to face with them, at one point chanting “Black Lives Matter” and “Don’t talk to cops.”

Shortly after 10 p.m. police announced over the loudspeaker that officers will be leaving the area. The crowd of protesters cheered. Then immediately went back into the street.

Protesters continuously occupied the area outside the Justice Center. At one point police returned to clear the street so that an ambulance could drive through.

The marchers who typically organize for a Black Lives Matter demonstration outside Revolution Hall were absent on Sunday. Rose City Justice said that it was a day of rest on the organization’s Instagram account.

Follow KOIN 6 for the latest news and weather


Download our FREE news and weather apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and sign up for our email newsletters.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Twitter News Widget

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss