Flag torched at Justice Center, 8 arrests made after 30th straight day of protests

2020 Protests

Timeline of events for June 27, 2020

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — While nightly demonstrations led by Rose City Justice have begun to vary, demonstrations outside the Multnomah County Justice Center have remained constant in Portland. Saturday marks the 30th consecutive day of protests outside the downtown building.

More than one hundred people gathered outside of the Justice Center on Saturday night. Protesters began the night by creating makeshift barricades out of pieces of fencing and plastic street dividers to block off the intersection of SW 3rd Avenue and SW Main Street outside of the Justice Center. Police responded quickly to this demonstration and by approximately 10:30 p.m. had declared the protest an unlawful assembly.

Police used riot control munitions to disperse the crowd, though it is unclear what munitions were specifically used. Smoke and loud bangs were reported from the scene.

After seizing the barricade, police appeared to leave Chapman Square, though tense moments between protesters and police continued periodically in the blocks surrounding the Justice Center, including one moment where protesters set an American flag on fire.

June 28 PPB Arrest Updates

The Portland Police Bureau said eight arrests were made in connection with Saturday night’s protest.

A group of demonstrators formed a human chain to pull plastic barriers out of the pit at SW 2nd and SW Salmon Street behind a former restaurant. A woman with a hand held speaker was heard calling for violent resistance from the crowd, according to PPB.

Following an unlawful assembly declaration at 10:30 p.m., officers said they made efforts to move the crowd away from barricades to keep traffic from being obstructed.

“During this engagement, officers had rocks, glass bottles, and paint thrown at them,” PPB said in a release. “Lasers and lights were directed at the officer’s eyes.” PPB added that Crowd control munitions were used during this interaction.

Officers documented graffiti applied to the Justice Center, the Federal Courthouse, and the surrounding area.

At about 1:20 a.m., a group moved began blocking the Central Precinct door and the roll down gates. During an arrest attempt, an officer was struck in the face with a skateboard and sustained minor injury. The subject who resisted arrest and assaulted the officer with the skateboard was arrested.

A few sidewalk garbage cans were set on fire in the area of SW 1-4 Avenues/Clay to Morrison, according to PBB. Efforts to disperse the crowd were made and crowd control munitions were used.

The crowd was mostly dispersed just after 2 a.m.

June 27 Timeline of events

12:00 a.m.

11:30 p.m.

Riot police are face to face with protesters at the corner of SW 4th Avenue and Taylor Street. After tense moments, police officers boarded their van at 11:44 p.m. and drove away.

11:00 p.m.

Police tell the crowd of protesters that officers are moving away from the area and ask protesters not to interfere with them as they move away.

After police moved out of Chapman Square, protesters remained outside the Justice Center.

10:30 p.m.

10:00 p.m.

Portland police address the makeshift blockade on Twitter:

“SW 3rd Ave/Main St are open to vehicular traffic. You are not allowed to block the street or impede traffic. Move immediately to the sidewalk. Do not block the street with barricades or cables.”

Minutes later, police declare an “unlawful assembly” and warn of the use of “crowd control munitions.”

9:30 p.m.

On Saturday night, there were over one hundred people outside the Justice Center. Protesters had set up a makeshift barricade near SW Main Street and SW 3rd Avenue.

Roughly two blocks away, a Portland Police vehicle with the Long Range Acoustic Device fixed to the top was parked facing protesters. Earlier this month, Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler instructed the police bureau to only used the LRAD for communication purposes. The device is also capable of emitting a loud sonic tone for crowd control purposes.

Photos: Day 30 of protests outside the Justice Center

Friday night’s protest ended when police used crowd-control munitions to break up demonstrators in the early hours of Saturday morning.

For the first few hours, they blocked the streets and chanted. Later, some demonstrators used plastic barricades to block the doors.

Police say they used “some crowd control munitions” to clear the protesters, but did not use tear gas. An officer who was injured while attempting an arrest needed medical treatment, according to Portland police, but the officer’s injuries have been described as non-life-threatening. Multiple arrests were made, but police have not specified how many and for what charges.

Earlier on Friday, demonstrators gathered at Fields Park for an Abolish ICE protest. Organizers led a march from the park to Terry Schrunk Plaza, which sits across from the US Immigration Court House on Southwest 3rd Avenue. There, protesters heard speakers share their experiences and calls to action to do away with Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Follow KOIN 6 for the latest news and weather


Download our FREE news and weather apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and sign up for our email newsletters.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Twitter News Widget

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss