Day 31: Protesters remove City Hall security cameras


June 28, 2020

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Protesters returned to the Justice Center Sunday evening for the 31st consecutive day of demonstrations against police brutality in downtown Portland, this time with a temporary stop at City Hall where protesters removed security cameras and spray painted the building.

At the beginning of the evening, caution tape was looped around trees, circling the Justice Center. With the fence gone, the building has remained boarded up.

A confrontation broke out when the driver of a sedan attempted to drive through SW 3rd Avenue where protesters were occupying the road. That driver accelerated through two crowds of protesters as people jumped out of the way and screamed to warn others. It was unclear if anyone was hurt in the incident.

Protesters chanted “stay together, stay tight, we do this every night,” outside the Justice Center before briefly marching to Portland City Hall on Southwest 4th Avenue. Once there, demonstrators knocked down security cameras as others pointed lasers at the cameras to obstruct the view. Protesters also spray painted Black Lives Matter graffiti and other things on City Hall; meanwhile, a flag was burned across the street.

Demonstrators then returned to the front of the Justice Center, where some set off fireworks in the middle of the street. KOIN 6 News also witnessed several protesters escorting someone from the main demonstration area after an apparent argument.

Timeline of events for June 28

11:30 p.m.

Back outside the Justice Center, two cars park with their hazard lights on at the intersection to keep thru-traffic from driving in front of the building on SW 3rd Avenue. Protesters occupy the street and chant “Black Lives Matter.”

Two cars park on SW 3rd Ave to block traffic from driving in front of the Justice Center as protesters occupy the street. June 28, 2020 (KOIN)

Speakers take turns with the megaphone addressing the protesters that stand outside the Justice Center. One demonstrator lights a firework in the street.

So far, there has not been a police presence at Chapman Square or outside City Hall Sunday night.

11:00 p.m.

Across the street from the City Hall building, demonstrators burned what appeared to be an American flag. The crowd that was outside City Hall then moves back to the Justice Center.

10:30 p.m.

A driver in a black sedan and protesters outside the Justice Center appear to have a brief confrontation before the driver steps on the gas and drives through the crowd. It is unclear if anyone was hurt.

Protesters chant “Stay together, stay tight, we do this every night.” The crowd has grown to more than 100 people.

People then moved to the City Hall building on Southwest 4th Avenue. A silver van with “BLM” painted on the side drove down SW 4th and slowed to a stop in front of the building, halting traffic behind it.

One protester scaled the exterior of City Hall as other demonstrators pointed lasers at the nearby security camera. Once that person had climbed onto the balcony, they could be seen dismantling the camera.

10:00 p.m.

A few dozen people are occupying the road outside the Justice Center.

9:00 p.m.

Photos from Sunday, June 28, 2020

The Portland Police Bureau said eight arrests were made in connection with Saturday night’s protest.

A group of demonstrators formed a human chain to pull plastic barriers out of the pit at SW 2nd and SW Salmon Street behind a former restaurant. A woman with a hand held speaker was heard calling for violent resistance from the crowd, according to PPB.

Following an unlawful assembly declaration at 10:30 p.m., officers said they made efforts to move the crowd away from barricades to keep traffic from being obstructed.

“During this engagement, officers had rocks, glass bottles, and paint thrown at them,” PPB said in a release. “Lasers and lights were directed at the officer’s eyes.” PPB added that Crowd control munitions were used during this interaction.

At about 1:20 a.m., a group moved began blocking the Central Precinct door and the roll down gates. During an arrest attempt, an officer was struck in the face with a skateboard and sustained minor injury. The subject who resisted arrest and assaulted the officer with the skateboard was arrested.

A few sidewalk garbage cans were set on fire in the area of SW 1-4 Avenues/Clay to Morrison, according to PBB. Efforts to disperse the crowd were made and crowd control munitions were used.

The crowd was mostly dispersed just after 2 a.m.

Follow KOIN 6 for the latest news and weather


Download our FREE news and weather apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and sign up for our email newsletters.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Twitter News Widget

Trending Stories