PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Portland’s 65th consecutive day of protests for Black Lives Matter ended in hundreds of people marching in the streets downtown peacefully, while earlier in the evening an unlawful assembly was declared at a demonstration at the Penumbra Kelly Building near E Burnside and 47th. Two people were arrested during that, authorities said.

A calendar maintained at PDXBLMEvents.com listed more than a dozen events, which started at noon and continued late into the evening. In the afternoon, hundreds of people gathered at King Elementary School for a march that called for equity in education and justice reform.

At Tom McCall Waterfront Park, the Portland chapter of the NAACP led an event called “Re-Centering Why We Are Here: BLM,” which included talks from the chapter president, Rev. E.D. Mondainé, Senator Jeff Merkley, and Portland City Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty.

Timeline of Events: August 1, 2020

2 a.m.

Using a self directed style, the group of what started as several hundreds of marchers dwindled to a fraction of that size as they moved through the downtown streets into the early hours of Sunday morning. They began at the Justice Center then marched and stopped at intersections along the way to give speeches and chant, moving north down SW 10th, then passing what had purported to be Mayor Ted Wheeler’s condo near NW 10th and Glisan, and finally heading back south down Broadway. They were last seen heading east down SW Main St. going toward the Justice Center where only a couple dozen people were still remaining.

12 a.m.

11 p.m.

Protesters in Southeast Portland largely dispersed after the 10 o’clock hour.

Meanwhile, hundreds of people were still gathered outside of the Justice Center and federal courthouse.

10 p.m.

In Southeast Portland, 2 people were arrested as police moved people out of the area of 47th and Burnside. A short time later, people reconvened at SE Oak Street and 41st. From there, they began to march while chanting “No cops, no prison, total abolition,” and then “Black Lives Matter.”

Around 10:30 p.m. police caught up with the marchers and told them “this event was still considered an unlawful assembly” and said to further disperse or face arrest or use of force.

One officer was hit in the head by ” a glass jar or bottle filled with paint,” but wasn’t hurt. Police also said they deflated the tires of a car that tried to block officers from moving people out of the road at E. Burnside and SE 44th.

People with “press” written on their clothes “repeatedly threw objects at officers,” authorities said.

Max Van Briesen, 31, was arrested for assaulting a public safety officer, interfering with a police office and disorderly conduct. Freedom Moreno, 34, faces charges of interfering with a police officer, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and harassment.

Meanwhile on the west side of the river, people returned to SW 3rd Avenue in downtown Portland and gathered outside of the Justice Center and the federal courthouse.

9 p.m.

Saturday evening, a community gathering and march for Black Lives Matter was organized at Laurelhurst Park. There was no pre-planned destination—participants voted on it while at the park. Around 9 p.m. demonstrators started marching to the Penumbra Kelly Building at 47th and Burnside. The building houses the Portland Police Bureau’s crime prevention and neighborhood involvement units. The Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office also leases office space in the building.

Over a loudspeaker to protesters and on Twitter, police told people to stay off the property of the Penumbra Kelly Building. Minutes later an unlawful assembly was declared and people were told to move west.

Officers could be heard telling people they had to be on the sidewalk if they didn’t want to be arrested.