3 arrested in ‘mass gathering’ outside Penumbra Kelly Building


All three people arrested had their charges dropped within hours

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Portland police arrested three people Tuesday night as a group gathered outside the Penumbra Kelly Building.

Police said there was a “mass gathering” at the office building that was blocking East Burnside Street, after a crowd of about 75 people marched from Laurelhurst Park to the Penumbra Kelly Building around 10:30 p.m. Officers warned the group to not enter the property, saying those who trespass could face arrest, citation, or the use of crowd control agents such as pepper spray.

At one point in the night, someone reportedly threw a lit firework toward the building — which landed near several parked police cars.

Around 12:18 a.m., a few members of the crowd were arrested after entering the property. Three total arrests were made, according to the Portland Police Bureau. Those arrested and their charges were listed as follows:

  • Sutton, Laura, 33-year-old, of Flagstaff, Arizona, Interfering with a Peace Officer, and Escape III
  • Molina, Tracy Lynn, 47-year-old, of Logsden, Oregon, Resisting Arrest, Trespass II, Disorderly Conduct II, Interfering with a Peace Officer
  • Arteaga, Simona, 39-year-old, of Portland, Oregon, Interfering with a Peace Officer, Trespass II

As of Wednesday afternoon, all three had already had their charges dropped, according to court records. Molina has been arrested at least five times at Portland protests and Arteaga has been arrested four times.

Police say the rest of the group dispersed within the hour.

During the gathering, police say two people who had participated in the march were injured in a shooting on Northeast Glisan. Both people involved were hospitalized.

It was the fourth shooting of the evening, according to the PPB.

Tuesday marked the second night in a row that protesters gathered outside the Penumbra Kelly Building. The crowd also blocked traffic on Monday night but no arrests were made. The PPB said the group left around 12:30 a.m. and thanked them for remaining peaceful.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Twitter News Widget

Trending Stories