PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Officers declared a riot Wednesday night as protesters tried to break into the Portland Police Bureau’s East Precinct during the 69th straight night of demonstrations in Portland.

Portland police declared a riot once a group of people cracked the glass front doors to the precinct. The group proceeded to barricade the doors and set a fire. Shortly after, police used tear gas to disperse the crowd along with other crowd control munitions. PPB said during the dispersal, someone in a truck attempted to run over several officers.

Police also closed off the streets near the precinct after they found what they originally said might be an explosive device outside the building. The device turned out to not be explosive, according to PPB.

Eight arrests were made overnight, police announced later in the day. Charges included rioting, interfering with police officers, criminal mischief, disorderly conduct, attempted assault of public safety officers, reckless driving and resisting arrest. One person arrested is from Kentucky, while another is from Minnesota.

Names and other details of those arrests can be found further down in this article.

Earlier in the night

Protesters were expected to gather in the area near the Justice Center and Federal Courthouse in downtown Portland, though crowd sizes near those locations have dwindled significantly since Oregon State Police Troopers took over for federal agents last week. Wednesday afternoon, crews could also be seen cleaning graffiti off of the Federal Courthouse.

A group also gathered at Floyd Light City Park in Southeast Portland starting at 8 p.m. Wednesday night and marched toward the Portland Police Bureau’s East Precinct on SE 106th Avenue about an hour later. The group quickly went to work spray-painting security cameras and tagging the precinct. Police issued their first warning of the night a few minutes later, asking peaceful protesters to leave the area due to ongoing criminal activity.

By 9:45 p.m., police had declared an unlawful assembly. Protesters were seen barricading the front doors and eventually broke the glass doors to the precinct. Just a few minutes later, police declared a riot and ordered people to disperse to the north or be subject to citation, arrest, or crowd control agents including tear gas and impact weapons.

Some people in the crowd proceeded to light a fire in front of the doors. Police responded by deploying tear gas to push the crowd away. KOIN 6 News saw police arrest at least two people.

Shortly before 10:30 p.m., police tweeted that they “have reason to believe an explosive device has been left outside East Precinct. Officers closed SE Washington to SE Cherry Blossom Street on SE 106th Avenue. They also closed the property of Floyd Light Middle School and the East Portland Community Center. About two hours later they announced the device turned out not to be explosive.

Several blocks away, some protesters shined lasers at officers as police deployed pepper balls and pushed people east on SE Stark Street.

The crowd returned to SE 106th and Stark where police reminded them that a riot had been declared and they had to leave the area. Oregon State Police troopers were also on-site to assist Portland police. Officers said while on Stark, rocks “the size of shot puts” were thrown at them.

Police say they then took several people into custody.

Shortly before 11:20 p.m., police again went to disperse the crowd that had moved back on SE Stark Street towards the East Precinct. While doing so, they say they were hit will paint balloons.

Officers dispersed the crowd two more times over the next few hours. Most of the crowd had left the area by 1:30 a.m.

Arrests made overnight

Eight total people were arrested on the 69th night of protests. Those taken into custody were listed as follows:

  • Kiley Delgado, 28, charged with riot and interfering with a police officer
  • Paul Lister, 21, charged with riot, interfering with a police officer, second-degree disorderly conduct and resisting arrest
  • Krystopher Donnelly, 26, charged with riot, attempted assault on a public safety officer, first-degree criminal mischief, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and interfering with a police officer
  • Mohamed Ali, 22, charged with riot, second-degree disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and interfering with a police officer
  • Davis Beeman, 38, charged with reckless driving and interfering with a police officer
  • Michael Elias, 39, charged with second-degree disorderly conduct and interfering with a police officer
  • Adrian De Los Rios, 32, charged with first-degree criminal mischief, riot, attempted assault on a public safety officer, third-degree escape, resisting arrest and interfering with a police officer
  • Derek Burros, 28, charged with second-degree disorderly conduct and interfering with a police officer

Tuesday night’s activity at the Portland Police Association building in North Portland ended with police declaring a riot and arresting three people.

Throughout the night, protesters lit fires, barricaded streets and vandalized the outside of the building. Several shots rang out near North Mobile Avenue shortly after midnight. Police said they found a vehicle had been struck by gunfire. About 15 minutes later, more shots were fired near North Lombard and Denver. Police tried to investigate, but the crowd was uncooperative. Officers said no one was shot, though.

Police declared the event a riot around 1:23 a.m., after they said members of the crowd broke into the Portland Police Association and set fire to the building. Police arrested three people on charges including riot, attempted assault of a public safety officer, and disorderly conduct. Officers used crowd control munitions to disperse the crowd, but did not deploy CS gas, according to police.